Possibly dumb question?

The coastal line and the Wairarapa line both enter Palmerston North from the south.

Several stations (Christchurch for example) were built in "Y" formation, (Lytellton Port at the base, North and South as the arms) so the brake levers pointed north north of Christchurch and south south of Chch. The only exception was one coalmine branch on the West Coast with a Fell incline where the coal hopper wagons all had their brake levers on the downhill end and so were at odds with the rest of the system.

When the Cook Strait ferries were introduced (1960s)the two islands effectively became connected for through running and all the coupler hooks in the South Island had to be moved to the other end. In the early 90s the Christchurch "Y" had the third track added so trains could run Dunedin-Picton without entering Christchurch yards. That requires a corresponding move around the Y if the return train goes Picton-Chch. The NI remains single directional.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

There are/were turntables at every loco depot and on most branches, but they are/were used to turn locomotives. The couplers (Norwegian chopper) standardized in 1870 are directional. (center buffer with one added hook per mating pair) It's very handy for train operating crews to know where the brake levers/wheels are, given that the NZ concept of "flat" equates approximately with the British concept of "mountain". NZ's geography is long and narrow with mountains up the middle so the railways tend to follow the coasts or cross the mountains at right angles. (horrible over-simplification but ...) Branch lines were built outward from the relevant main line. In the few places where loops were created (such as Wellington-Palmerston North) the connections were made in the same direction, which is logical given that traffic flows were in those directions. Of course their has to be an exception and that is at Christchurch where the northern and southern routes both went to the port creating a "Y". Modern Diseasels can of course run longer distances than the 2-4-0t and

0-6-0ts of 1863, so some trains need to operate from south of Christchurch to Picton/Wellington so the third leg of the "Y" was added. This requires return Picton-Christchurch wagons to be run around the "Y". The couplers (Norwegian chopper) standardized in 1870 are directional. (center buffer with one added hook per mating pair)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

And back!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Err, basically the South Island is two tectonic plates pushing together and gradually rising, with the errosion detrius forming the eastern (Canturbury) plains. The North Island is a collection of overlapping active/semiactive/temporarily dormant volcanoes. We're not in the least bit worried about any land sinking, but we do tend to worry a little about earthquakes and the odd puff of smoke above local cones.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

No, silly, the Flying Coriolis were the ones who helped Mussolini make the trains run on time.

Reply to
Steve Caple

If you watch a train going by once in a while 9assming you're lucky enough to have an accessible grade crossing near you), you'll see that it doesn't matter.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Not all unit coal trains are like this, I saw a train today with mixed standard and rotary couplers, and they were all randomly turned.

Reply to
bladeslinger

Wolf Kirchmeir wrote in news:46e87142$0$31081 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com:

Yes I have a local grafe crossing, but I rarely get stuck. Drat!

Anyway, thanks guys. I can be obvsessive about details sometimes but the more I thought of it I kinda figured the answer would be "don't matter".

Now to go randomize my freight yard.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

In message , snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net writes

Of course. It all depends where they are being unloaded. The example I gave was for the unloading at Roberts Bank. If the cars were being unloaded at Grande Cache, Alberta [1] they use two overhead CAT shovels to unload the cars so it wouldn't matter which way round they were.

However, many of the outbound coal cars are off loaded at Roberts Bank and for this they have to be in same direction.

From a modelling point of view this means that you could see empty and loaded coal cars travelling in each direction. ]

1] It's a strange situation here because although there is a power station and a coal mine on the same site, the mine was closed for a number of years, the power station then made a contract with another company to deliver coal which is still in force today. I'm told that the power company wants to buy the local coal, but at lower than market rate (excl. transport) while the coal company is holding out for a market rate. As the coal is (Iam told) of high calorific value it is easily sold so the coal company will probably get the contract when it comes up for renewal.
Reply to
Mike Hughes

Do you have a precisely defined formula for doing that?

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ihug.co.nz:

Don't get me started. ;)

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

On 9/13/2007 7:17 PM Gray Ghost spake thus:

I suggest a pseudo-random Poisson variability plot using a Gaussian distribution.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:46ea045c$0$22189 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

You'll have a lot more fun batting a small plastic ball around like a cat. Whatever cars it touches, you rotate. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Whadda fish gotta do with it, you surrender monkey?

Reply to
Steve Caple

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

I find that an old-fashioned 7 or above on the Richter Scale randomizes car locations quite nicely.

Living in southern California isn't *all* beer and skittles.

Reply to
P. Roehling

Yes, the brakewheels had to face forward.

One of the biggest problems was depressed center flatcars. They had brake wheels on each end. This caused many brakemen to go insane and they had to be put down. Conductors were issued a pistol for just that reason.

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

Don't forget the rare case of a unit train equipped with rotary couplers. They would all have to be lined up the same way. I've been told that is wy cars with rotary couplers have one end painted a bright colro.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

On 9/14/2007 12:24 AM P. Roehling spake thus:

*7*??? Sheesh; we up here in the Beige Area are all happy and stuff when we get a nice 4.2 (like the one a couple months ago that woke me up at 4:30 am and scared the crap out of me).
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"David Nebenzahl" wrote

I was wrong. Google tells me that the first (Landers) quake was a 7.5, and the Big Bear quake that followed it a few hours later rated a mere 6.5 on the Richter scale.

The first one scrambled my staging yard quite nicely, derailing or knocking over nearly every car. The second quake just shoved things around a little more.

Oddly, the locos all remained on the track.

Reply to
P. Roehling

That would be "cars with a rotary coupler". You only need one per car and two would make getting meeting couplers in sync more difficult. The bright painted end almost certainly indicates the rotating coupling end.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter