Preferred Mail Order Hobby Suppliers

SNIPS
Of course, the Post office will pick up packages at your door, whether a residence or commercial. No extra charge. And postage and shippig labels can be obtained from the PO on line from your location, again, no extra charge by the PO. Package tracking can be set up from your site. If the shipment is a Priority Mail shipment, the PO will even supply, free, no charge, both the boxes and he sealing tape, though you have to pick those up at the PO.
I have no sympathy, zero, for the sellers who moan about how hard and expensive it is to ship. If its too hard, stop selling.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:40:36 -0700, "Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> purred

    Great..if you are not working. However, if you are at work you must make time to go to the post office since their pick ups are done solely during the hours most of us are at work.

    Indeed they do. For most casual dealers the 2-4 week lead time before receiving the labels is a problem. Unless you use the online label printing (which does NOT work with some merchant accounts) there is still a charge for tracking.

    You can get the boxes (with the same 2-4 week lead time) online however it still costs gas and time to get the "free" boxes at the PO and they do NOT offer free tape.     Priority mail is costly and that raises the shipping cost to the buyer, especially on things like books and DVDs

    It isn't hard but it does have costs and those costs a merchant should be recompensed for.
cat

What, no post office service where you work?
Ever left an outgoing pece of mail in you mailbox as you went off to work? Those don't get picked up by the mail carrier?
No Saturday postal service at your house?

Huuuuuuhhh? What lead time? What problem?
I print off the labels and the postage on my printer with blank label stock, all generated with FREE software from the PO.
Even if there were a "lead time" whats the big deal in planning in advance and getting a stock of labels as you organize you dealing business.
Unless you use the online

Never said there was not a charge for tracking. The point is that you don't have to go to the PO to fill out the tracking form and get a tracking number assigned.

up
So what? You go once every six or eight weeks. No major cost for gas or time. You pick up a large supply.

I have about 3, no 4 rolls of the priority mail tape sitting right here. I get 'em for free at the PO.

So, should the merchant add on to the cost of each item a separate line item for electricity? For a web site? For advrtising? What makes "handling" any more a protected spoecies of cost compared to electricity, or ballpoint pens or whatver else? Nothing ! There is no logic to the add ons for "Handling" Its only the greed of the sellers and the padssvity of the buyers that les sellers get away with the huge handling charges.
This is now far off topic. We obviously disagree. I'm not going to change your mind and you are nt going to change my mind. I'm dropping this part f the thread and will not respond or participate further.

Jim McLaughlin spake thus:

You'd have to be an idiot to do this where I live; you'd never see those packages again. Anything left outside around here is fair game.
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

    Not usually and I rarely know from one day to the next exactly where I will be at any given time.

    And i am going to just leave boxes of sometimes large and heavy valuable stuff outside to be stolen? That is not a wise idea if one lives in an urban area

    I usually work a 6 day week, so see the first answer for details.

    For the casual dealer they rarely think a month or more ahead of time before listing an item, hence no boxes on hand. commercial dealers do have the boxes but few casual sellers have them or can wait for the PO to ship them.

    For me the problem is it makes a label incompatible with my record keeping system so I have to generate custom labels for each item

    If you read my statement i said the lead time was a problem for the casual seller, not a regular merchant.

    Here and in many other areas the PO charges you a per box fee if you get more than 1 at a time and the larger boxes are almost never available at my branches, just the high priced retail boxes.

    Try using that to hold a heavy carton together. also if you use it you can not ship media mail and they will gripe like mad if it is on a shipment to a foreign country.

    Handling includes all those costs, just like the full retail price covers them in a regular store. the only difference is now you actually see them enumerated. If one is auctioning legitimately (ie: setting the start price low enough as to be well below retail and does not have a high reserve) there is a good chance the buyer will get the item below retail so the usual costs need to be covered so they are simply listed. Last week i sold the hardtop for my old Triumph. I charged a $30 handling and packing fee. The actual cost was $41. Now where is that wrong? (especially since almost all others insist on local pickup only and I am the only one offering worldwide shipping on everything I sell) You pay handling on everything you buy, you just don'e see it listed.
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 13:04:12 -0700, cat wrote:

Nowhere. And it would not have been wrong to estimate the packaging costs and then bill with a copy of the invoice for it, if you had someone else (Boxes, Etc. or such) do it for you. But I'd like to see an invoice justifying some greedy jerkoff charging $12 to mail an HO car or loco.
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

We frequently mail parcels from mid-northern Ontario to southern Texas. Cost is $12.15 for 1.1 lb or less, $13.15 for 2.2 lb or less. Plus tax plus fuel surcharge. These are "expedited parcels", the lowest rate class available.
Within Canada: a regular parcel to Alberta costs $8.75 for 1.1 lb or less, 9.35 for 2.2lb; or $10.75 and $16.80 by Express Post.
Plus tax, plus fuel surcharge.
Plus filling out forms.
$12 for shipping an HO loco or car is not out of line IMO.
Well, if you should ever wonder why something didn't get the price you wanted, add the ridiculous postage, then see if it's available in the hobby shop cheaper. No wait, and wonder about the mail, either... Also they can help with questions, which most ebay "retailers" have no clue about.

| Each hobby seems to have a short list of preferred mail order hobbly | sellers. What are the best ones as far as reliability, service, | prices, and availbility? Mainly I'm looking at all items for N Scale | including track, locomotives, and rolling stock. | | I prefer new over used stuff on eBay. |
http://www.jaystrains.com both new and used http://www.valleymodeltrains.com/ just new and of course http://www.walthers.com
Norm

I'm in Australia, and I model US prototype in N scale. I've bought a lot of stuff from the USA.
I've used TexNRails 4 or 5 times without any problems. I've found them to have competitive prices, be responsive to my emails (although sometimes slow to do so), and they have reasonable S&H charges.
I also buy a lot of new stuff on eBay. Over the past year I've bought about a dozen new N scale locos from various eBay sellers. I only pay via Paypal, and I ALWAYS get a quote for S&H before bidding. The typical price that I pay to pack and post an N scale loco to Australia is about US$10 to US$12, but I've been charged anywhere from $9 to $20. I've been quoted as high as $25.
I don't mind the seller charging extra for packaging and his time - SO LONG AS he tells me up front what the price will be. I just take that into account when I bid.
To put it all in perspective, after taking into account the cost of S&H, on average I pay about AU$70 - AU$75 to get a quality N scale loco delivered to my door. Those same locos (if you can find them here) cost upwards of AU$120 each in my LHS. Delivery usually takes about 7 - 10 days.
All in all, I'm a very happy eBayer. By using it carefully (VERY carefully), I've bought a lot of locos that I could not have otherwise afforded.
Regards, Ron
***
Ron,
Australians are great people. I had an Australian sister-in-law and have known many others. So don't get me wrong when I make the comment..." So you are the guy that keeps upping the ebay bid price!" What may be a good buy for you makes it less of a good buy for us here in the USA. However, if it helps an Aussie (or a Kiwi) get a good deal, I won't complain too much.
Would you consider switching to HO and leaving the N Scale locomotives to me? Just kidding Ron! Maybe it was you that I outbid today for that Atlas SD-35.
OS

Happily, I can honestly say it wasn't me ... this time. SD-35s are too 'modern' for me. But I've bought six SD24s, several MTL FT sets and a few other locos from the '50s.
Actually, I find I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because minimum postage for me is about US$10. It's a real pain when sellers have a bunch of cars to sell, but they list them individually. Worst case for me is that I'll win just one for (say) $5 and then have to pay $10 S&H.
Regards, Ron
***