Prototype Question - Steam Roof Color

All, I note that many of my model steam locos have oxide red roofs
over the cab and a couple have the same color on the tender deck.
While the boiler is black (or green - Southern) and the smoke boxes
silver or graphited. Is the oxide red cab roof representative of real
practice? If yes, why?
I'm getting back into the hobby after recent retirement and most of my
models are from the 80's or sooner, when they weren't as serious as
today. I see that many current models have black roofs.
Thanks
Robert B
Reply to
Robert B
I note that many of my model steam locos have oxide red roofs > over the cab and a couple have the same color on the tender deck.
Reply to
Jon Miller

Site Timeline