Prototype Question - Steam Roof Color

All, I note that many of my model steam locos have oxide red roofs over the cab and a couple have the same color on the tender deck.
While the boiler is black (or green - Southern) and the smoke boxes silver or graphited. Is the oxide red cab roof representative of real practice? If yes, why?
I'm getting back into the hobby after recent retirement and most of my models are from the 80's or sooner, when they weren't as serious as today. I see that many current models have black roofs.
Thanks
Robert B
I note that many of my model steam locos have oxide red roofs

For certain RRs yes and for others no. I know some/all Pennsy did it but not sure on other RRs. If you engines are BLI they are most likely correct as that importer does a _fairly_ good job with correct paint.