query re: locomotive weights

I believe depleted means totally depleted. As I recall, depleted uranium was used as part of the armor on the Abrams (sp?) tank. Don't think they would have done that if it was harmful to the troops.

Reply to
ray

I believe it is used for the armor piercing shells the tanks fire. Checking on Wikipedia:

Robert Heller

Nope. It's still mildly radioactive, but -according to the Army- not dangerously so unless one is exposed over rather a long term.

Remember, however, that *no* amount of radiation is *good* for you.

Problem is that the depleted uranium bullets which get scattered around during combat have usually been badly shattered upon impact, and uranium is dangerous to have in the environment because it can cause fatal heavy-metal poisoning if you manage to get very much of it in your system.

Twibil

You'd better move to a planet with radioactive elements in its crust or atmosphere, then. Kinda hard to find in the universe. You might have to migrate to an alternate reality. ;-)

Look up background radiation, here for example:

Here's a nice little fact for you: a typical Canadian wood frame house, the most radioactive item in a room is likely you. Unless you're drinking whisky, that is.

Another: for any given amount of electricity, a coal-fired power plant will emit more radiation into the atmosphere an a nuclear plant. The Three Mile Island accident, which casued people to fear for their lives, raised background radiation by about the amount of a chest X-ray

I'm out of single malt. ;-(

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

Long ago I had access to the tungsten disks from xray tubes - there was no way to get an HO boiler weight from one in one peice.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

How could one totally deplete uranium inside a million odd years? You have far too much faith in your military and weapons makers!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

It's dotted all around Iraq and Afghanistan - it makes geiger-counters scream.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Also checking wikipedia on M1 Abrams tank "Beginning in 1987, M1A1 tanks received improved armor packages that included depleted uranium mesh . . .".

Reply to
ray

Um, I suspect you left the word "no" out of the preceding paragraph.

We already live on a planet that has radioactives in the crust and atmosphere.

Reply to
Twibil

Zirconium is heavier. Cheap if you can get hold of some used nuclear fuel cladding.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yah, right!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Um, I suspect you left the word "no" out of the preceding paragraph.

We already live on a planet that has radioactives in the crust and atmosphere.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Perhaps less in the atmosphere since weekly testing ceased ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

--=AD-------------

No doubt. (To the relief of the good folks in Saint George, Utah.)

But there are still old abandoned Uranium mines in the Four Corners area where the Radon gas sets gieger counters clicking fifty yards from the adit.

I've seen a couple myself on hunting trips, but never went close for the obvious reasons.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

On 10/03/2011 8:56 PM, Greg Procter wrote: [...]

"Depleted uranium" has had the U-235 removed. The radioactivity of U-238 is a small fraction of that of U-235. I wouldn't spend much time around it, but more because of the risk of heavy metal poisoning than because of the radioactivity.

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

Yup, mistyping, again.

Sigh.

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

About 3% of the background radiation is attributable to human sources, including atmospheric testing. Of course, that's not the whole story. Atmospheric testing released a good deal of short-lived radioactives into the air, which had some rather nasty effects. OTOH, the number of additional deaths caused by them is probably about the same as a year's worth of US traffic deaths, if that.

It seems we love to scream about low-level risks caused by Nasty People Whom We Love To Hate, and ignore much higher risks that we are personally responsible for, or whose mitigation would require some loss of convenience.

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

-----=AD-------------

Try your Geiger counter on the next glass of single malt you intend to=20 enjpoy.

;-)

Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

I once did QC on nuclear fuel cladding. That ought to scare the crap out of anybody ...

:-(

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Children are in far more danger from heavy metals.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

The results, or the fact you did it ;)

Reply to