Re: grades in HO scale

Larry,

Curves can really add a lot of binding when climbing a grade. On the prototype, a good rule of thumb is to add .05% compensation for each degree of cure. This a 22" radius curve(40 degrees) will add about 2% on to of the actual vertical grade. Your vertical grade is 1/120 =

2.5%, plus the 2% compensation = 4.5% - pretty steep! With our soft metal n/s rail, the actual binding may be worse that the above formula states!

Jim Bernier

"larry l." wrote:

My layout requires a grade that rises 3 inches in 120 inches of > 22 inch radiuscurves. However, none of the model steam > locomotives I own will pull more than 4 cars up the grades. > I have a docksider and a 'teakettle' which when coupled together, > will pull seven cars. However a new Bachmann Prairie 2-6-2 > will hardly pull itself, much less any consist. > > I imagine that the problem connected with the load imposed by > the lateral friction on the curves, but I see lots of layouts > with higher grades on curves. > > Doesn anyone know of a reference source which dealw with > grades on curves,and does anyone have a solution? > Thanks, > Larry
Reply to
Jim Bernier

The solution is to put some weight in the locos. 2 1/2% grades are about what most use for grades and, while 22" radius curves are sharp, they won't affect the real pulling performance by that much for model trains. The plastic steam is really bad for weight and often there really isn't much space in the boilers for adding some weight but even two ounces of weight will improve a loco's pulling capabilities from negligable to worthy. With the larger locos, there is also the problem of many manufacturers of adding springs to keep the trucks on the track. Weakening these springs helps with pulling power also as more weight is on the drivers.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Larry:

In addition to adding the weight on the locomotive, make certain to balance the weight on the locomotive. If the loco is nose heavy or tail heavy it will be losing some of it's adhesion from the other end of the locomotive.

Reply to
Allan Butler

Larry, Back in 2000 I investigated straight climbs. My Spectrum 2-8-0 Consolidation would would start and climb 10.5% by itself. Sometimes there was wheelspin, but with more volts the wheelspeed increased, and the loco would gradually gain traction and climb. When loaded with three 4-wheel freight cars, it would reliably climb only 4%. My Athearn GP35 would climb

12% without wheel spin. Can you build a new body for a Bo-Bo loco to represent a freight car behind your Prairie? Cam "LocoTorque" The Olympic Line
Reply to
cam

Er, 3/120 is 2.5%, not 3%...

--Dan