Re: Proto to release Wabash 2-10-2

Details at : > >
> > Odd choice, thought a USRA 2-10-2 was the pea for this choice. Or are > they the same thing?

No, they're not. But it's still a good choice, as many were sold to other roads, including the Chessie, Missouri Pacific, and - hooray! - the Chicago & Illinois Midland. So while it's a prototype specific to a particular road, it may be correctly lettered for others, like the previous AMC Berkshires.

But now I see that MR are claiming that the LifeLike 2-10-2s will be models of the USRA heavy type. I wonder who is correct?

Reply to
Mark Newton

I had a look on All American Trains website and the pictures posted there are of a C&O B-1 which I think was from Chicago and Eastern Illinois and a Wabash loco. It's still a strange choice as I would have thought a USRA light/ heavy 2-10-2, PRR N-2? class, would have been a better choice. But then who knows there thinking after the "USRA" 2-8-4. I got one of the new run locos and they have improved the wheels and motion but the counter weights are still way under size.

regards Charles Emerson, Bellbird, NSW, Australia

Reply to
Charles emerson

The photo on the All American Trains web site is incorrect for the version owned by the C&O, Wabash and C&EI. If they're going to make an accurate model that covers the C&O, the C&EI and the Wabash, it would have to be the comparatively clean-lined C&O Class B-2 and B-3, which didn't have the "twin kettle" sand domes and Wooten firebox of the B-1.

The C&O B-1 class 2-10-2 shown on the AAT site is an ex-Lehigh Valley locomotive which came to the C&O by way of the Hocking Valley. The Pere Marquette and the LS&I also got these ex-LV locomotives from the HV.

Word on the C&O list is that Life-Like has canceled this project. We'll see.

-fm Webmaster of the Pere Marquette Historical Society, at

The address in the header of this message is deliberately bogus to foil address-harvesters. See my web sites for my real address.

Reply to
Fritz Milhaupt

Either USRA design would have been a better, I think, as many roads had originals or copies. The Pennsy version I'm not so sure about, as they were rebuilt with typical PRR features, losing much of their attractive USRA look in the process.

Yes, I bought one numbered 740 from the second run about a fortnight ago. LL appear to have simply painted the balance weights and wheel centres; as you say they lack adequate relief. I'm thinking of having some etched overlays done to improve their appearance.

Reply to
Mark Newton