Re: scale size

Unless you are looking for scale inches;

1/4"=1'0" for O; 3/16" for S; 1/8" for HO. and 1/16" for N. No, these numbers are not right on, but they work pretty close for estimating.

And what is this about the Iraqi World Model Division that you are trying so hard to find?

Don Cardiff Model Railroad Design Kaneville, IL

Reply to
CBT2000

It's all coincidence. I don't think any of the original manufacturers meant to match percentage wise to the others. Especially since HO, N, and Z are all metric based. O, S and TT are based on standard US (Imperial) inch measures.

Of course there are now the movements to purify the scales and gauges. Proto 87 (HO), and Proto 48 (O). I don't know what they will do with the "G" mess. I see four emerging scales that run on G size track.

1:20.5, 1:22 European, 1:25, and 1:29. Eventually each needs its own rail heights and tie spacing. I don't know what ever became of the "M" scale (Magnus)?
Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

No. It's two thirds.

In US scales, O is 1/4 inch to the foot, S is 3/16 inch HO is 1/8 inch

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

No it wasn't. H0 was intentionally half of the British 0 scale (7mm to the ft.), and S scale started off as H1 (Half One) in the UK and as CD in the US - i.e. half of Gauge 1 at 3/8":ft/10mm:ft. The scales were originated between the two world wars when modellers were looking for smaller scales and they halved the larger scales which had been popular at the start of last century.

In the UK, 00 Scale was developed at 4mm : ft and that was halved to give 000 scale at 2mm : ft

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

There is a set pattern in the relationship between many of the scales. It all goes back to the toy train gauges of 3, 2, 1, 0, 00 etc. and the pioneers of this hobby who adapted toy train track for scale modeling.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Check out Bing of 1922-34 - they made the first "HO" although I don't think that term was ever actually stated in their literature or packing. They marketted US style variations of their "models".

Well, they are more than 10% oversize! (48/43.5*100)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Z is 73% of N.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Don, The common Japanese scale for models of Japanese trains running on

almost the same

An object 1000

be .005" and

approximately 1