Re: inappropriate behavior by Toledo hobby shop owner...

Yes...that's the guy with the inappropriate behavior. He may have believed that since he was the owner, he could get away
with saying those things with no repercussions., since he's "the boss". I definitely noticed that he carried himself with extra confidence, before and after the comments were made, and when I spoke to him about the incidents.

One of the things I absolutely hate about the internet is the fact that you can condemn someone, by name, with only one side of the story. There is ALWAYS another side of the story.
Don Cardiff Model Railroad Design Kaneville, IL

And that side would be, what..."I'm an unprofessional, chauvinist pig who likes to hit on young women that come into my store"?
--Dan

What I was trying to say is, we only have one person's story of what happened. Did it happen at all? Why is this guy crying about it on the internet? No, I would be the last to defend the situation as described. But did it happen as described? Is there another agenda involved? For example; Did 'Steve' commit the unforgiveable sin of selling something at full retail?
Don Cardiff Model Railroad Design Kaneville, IL
Yes I guess you are right. But I think so was I. I don't know the 'real' story and will wait for the original poster to come back with more detail (which I highly doubt will happen) before commenting further. Have a nice holiday.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.combatspam (Sean S) wrote in message (CBT2000)

girl
First off, I wasn't "crying" about the occurrence.
My age? Yes, older than she, but not greatly. If she had been my *daughter*, I'd have clocked him one on the spot. DON'T make comments of a sexual nature about customers. Common sense!!! Oh...and if he'd have said that my *daughter* was a "pumper girl..."(wink)? I'd have even more reason to be mad. Don't get me started. There's no excuse in the world to talk to a customer that way. Zilch, zero, none.
By the way... I'm not "crying" about it.
No, I was *not* upset at him for having products at "full retail", as he was having a sale those days. I'd weighed purchasing the items regardless of the comments, but there's no way I'd put up with that type of treatment to save 30%...or any amount, for that matter.
On 04 Jul 2003 09:07:25 GMT, I read these words from snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HorseshoeCurve) :

Excuse me ?
Does this statement miss something in the translation as it wings its way across the pond ?
-- Ian S
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:59:42 GMT, I read these words from "Pac Man"

Oh no, being multi-lingual, I understood that bit. ("Punch your clock in" is a Sarf of *ngland expression)
It was the difference in his anticipated reaction to an insult directed to a) his daughter and b) his lady acquaintance.
Either situation here would merit the same degree of reaction, physical or otherwise.
-- Ian S
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:40:01 GMT, I read these words from volvowrench

Aye, right !
To quote Arte Johnson, "Verrry interesting!"; http://www.timvp.com/laughin.html
-- Ian S
That's probably a pretty good definition, but you might also want to add "condensed from `cleaning one's clock" as in the scene from THE LONGEST DAY where the Brit bashes the malfunctioning tank on the beach with his baton/cane explaining that nothing works better on malfunctioning equipment than a good bash.
Or, just clobbering the clock might clear/clean from it whatever dust, dirt, bugs, cobwebs... that may be impairing its proper operation.
dlm -- Dan L. Merkel
Clock: v.t., a Yankee euphemism for figuratively or literally bringing force via an extended arm or fist or makeshift weapon against the side of another person's head. Ostensibly with the result of "putting their lights out" as a method of instilling a degree of education. Usually in response to an oral statement either misspoken or misunderstood by one or both parties. Derives from several sources, notably the reaction of some sleepers to the rude awakening of the alarm clock, whereby the sleeper swats the clock against the wall with sufficient force to cease the infernal ringing. Related to the notion that there exist appearances so shocking that presenting them before a timepiece would by force of negative aura alone cause the mechanism to cease functioning, as in the witch was so ugly she could "stop a clock." Hence, by rendering a person unconscious time is effectively stopped for that person at least temporarily.
From the dictionary of Bob. -- The goal of driving is to miss the maximum possible number of objects.
*rant deleted* Okay and what situation would you consider appropriate to make sexual comments to a customer in a store, or how about any woman you didn't know?

you can

Don, I understand what you are saying. If there is even some *remote* chance that what the owner said was actually misunderstood he deserves a chance to answer to the charges. None of us would accept any less for ourselves. It would be a terrible shame to completely ruin someone's reputation if there were some misunderstandings that could be clarified. Lynn

that you can

you can

While you certainly MAY be right in a few cases, this does not seem to be applicable to this one. Anyway, it is very dangerous to condemn someone on the internet without being able to back it up. A lawsuit may cost a large sum of money. And in the case of such a "rogue" hobby shop, there is a pretty good chance someone tells the owner about a thread like this one and thus the owner in turn has a good chance to either defend himself or sue the claimant. Thus, I don't believe that we see many unfounded rants about shops, manufacturers and the like, here.
I sometimes find it very helpful to read about good and/or bad service here and in other newsgroups. Decent service sadly is not a given any more ... although I can't complain about model railroad shops (yet). I had some very bad experiences with digital camera sellers here in Germany, though. And I got excellent service from Brawa, a model railroad manufacturer for European prototypes.
Regards,
George W. Pflaum
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MrRathburne) wrote in message

Why would you want to stand between her and a idiot like this? I'm sure she'd lay a much better smack-down on him than you could and probably get away with it much easier if the cops were called. In a situation like this the best thing a husband can do for his wife is hold her purse so she has both hands available for whacking. ;-)
Eric
Jim Stewart wrote:
My 55 year old large Polish wife would have decked him if he did such. If she could get there first in front of me.
Thanks - I looked for it but evidently didn't check the first message in the thread.

"Who is

"That's me." I

girlfriend?" He

thought we were

spending
from this

A couple of years ago the Train Show coordinator for the club I belonged to at the time repeatedly traveled down to Toledo to kiss Steve's butt to get him to come to our show. He came, was a jerk, his prices weren't anything special, and we didn't ask him back again.
Another group I feel sorry for in a case like this is the club up in Blissfield. The last I knew they rented their space from Steve and had to pay part of the rent by providing security for him at the shows he holds in Toledo. Nothing like a well-to-do club having a jerk as a landlord.
Speaking of reading all of the posts, did I ever say anyone was lying? By the way, the comment about paying full retail was said with tongue in cheek - a lost art these days.
Don Cardiff Model Railroad Design Kaneville, IL

I have meet this guy a few times at GATS shows. I believe the story. Enough said.

Enough
And I've been in his store and been at the shows and have never seen any indication of any such behavior from Steve, his wife (she helps run the business), his kids or his employees.
Someone already has been criticized for pointing out that there are at least two sides to these stories. Only the people present know the facts for sure. From those facts I assume they will make the proper decision to deal with those facts. For the original posting author, that decision, no more business to be done at that store, is much more intelligent than some of the other things that have been posted here.
I find it ironic that a local shop, that someone that posts here works for (now), did exhibit that stereotypical paying customers be damned attitude. It got old quick and I took my business elsewhere. I have made a few visits over the last several months and the store now seems to treat customers with the respect owed a paying customer.