Re: Whats your Favorite Train Movie?

One of mine too, but it sems the only time they show it around here is late at
> night, when I have to struggle to stay awake to see it.
NETFLIX.COM - rent the DVD
Reply to
Steve Caple
"This Property is Condemned" was a pretty good RR flick from the ' 60s or early ' 70s.
rec.models.railroad
Reply to
Galbo46
Nobody mentioned Von Ryan's Express with Frank Sinatra James F. Westphal
Reply to
JFWestphal
"This Property is Condemned" .........Not bad......it was believable as far as imagery was concerned. One could almost feel what life in a small southern railroad town was like in the 30's...............but trying to pass of a US Army 2-8-0 for an L&N 2-8-0???? It smoked and made choo choo sounds, but that was still enjoyable. Reford got the crap kicked out of him......probably much to the chagrin of liberals everywhere. Personally I thought he was great in this film as was Natalie Wood. Charles Bronson, one of my all time favorites, I thought was weak in this film, but I suspect poor script and directing. Note...Redford and myself were born exactly on the same day and time in '38 (read an article once), only he looks a hell of a lot better. Maybe someone should send him a train set for Christmas and let him start on the model railroader's famous exercise program...........None!!
HZ
Reply to
Howard Zane
"JFWestphal"
Yes they have, several times.
Another movie with no idea how railways operate.
-- Cheers Roger T.
of the Great Eastern Railway
Reply to
Roger T.
Box Car Bertha for the gret nude scenes.
Reply to
Howard R Garner
Another one for the list (not a favorite):
Cassandra Crossing - plaque on the Geneva-Stockholm express. Nice Swiss scenery, Sophia Loren, Richard Harris, Martin Sheen, Lee Strasberg, Ava Gardner and Burt Lancaster - and OJ.
Reply to
Steve Caple
The novel and movie were set in Russia but it was filmed in Finland.
Finnish railways are interesting. Because wood was so plentiful they were still running wood-burners to the end of steam.
Reply to
Christopher A. Lee
I think I will nominate:
Train (w/Burt Lancaster) and Titfield Thunderbolt
Reply to
Charles Seyferlich
As other posters have mentioned, the General is hard to beat. 1:1 scale train wrecks were mentioned in the thread above, here's one that will let you see how it was done.
action/adventure/comedy
Reply to
Joe
I didn't brush its teeth?
-- Cheers Roger T.
of the Great Eastern Railway
Reply to
Roger T.
"Joe" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:
The Taking of Pelham 123 - yeah it's a subway but still a great flick.
Reply to
Lobby Dosser
Oops. forgot about Boxcar Bertha with Barbara Hershey in the 1960's. Don't recall how much train action there was but SHE was easy on the eyes! =8^@
Paul - "The CB&Q Guy"
Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy
FWIW, this is the best thread I've seen on any NG in quite some time...
As to movies...just a suggestion for those of you near possible sources--many, many, moons ago schools and other orgs were able to borrow films produced by UPRR (and I'm sure many others) from the PR dept. Various topics, always with lots of good "train" footage...I don't know if this is still done, but the films must be somewhere--as I recall they were 16mm.
Happy Hunting!
action/adventure/comedy
Reply to
Richard
My favorite is Emperor Of the North Pole, the story of hobos battling a cruel freight conductor (Shack, played by Earnest Borgnine) during the great depression. I'd love to get it on DVD. greate filming of steam feight. not absolutely accurate WRT RR operation, but believable.
skyl> Ok, so I broke down the other week and ordered some DVD's from amazon.com.
-- Dale leasure Chief Rust Scraper Penfield and Western RR
Reply to
Dale Leasure
Faves?
The Titfield Thunderbolt Silver Streak (the one with the Pioneer Zephyr in the starring role) Bullet Train (either the english dub or the nihongo original) The Great Train Robbery The Train Union Station
Reply to
Edvardo
I notice that nobody's mentioned "Under Siege 2". :-{)
Reply to
Rick Jones
I remember when they filmed that. They parked the train at Denver Union Station. It took me a while to figure out what the totally bizarre train sitting there was. The worst part (other than the paint scheme) was the two GP20s on the point.
Reply to
SleuthRaptorman
Huh? You mean there is a different one other than the Gene Wilder version using the CP "Canadian". When was it made?
Reply to
SleuthRaptorman
It was made in 1934.
Ken Rice