Re: When You Hear The Heavy Accent & The Poor Phone Connection... HANG UP!! ----- 0MCX2ECzHk

That was the meaning of my "Not ready for Primt Time" comment.

You were luckier than most. I have alot of ex MAC users who made the move because Apple Canada's support was not as advertised. It was free for 60-90 days and then you called and had to get out the credit cards.

Reply to
wannandcan

Does it also explain the willing gullibility of Scientology converts, Moonies, etc.?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Well, anyone who spends several thousand bucks on a computer that performs at the rate of a $1500 clone has already convinced themselves how great they are!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

If you can get service (that is, you buy AppleCare and/or you have a Mac store nearby), and Mac supports the software you need to run, in general, Mac's are more reliable (hardware and software) than WinTel PCs. They are also more expensive for a given performance level. OS X is generally considered a more robust, better designed, and superior GUI to Win XP by computer interface professionals. But WinTel has the market share, so there are more add-ons, software, and local repair shops.

Where I'm at (Palo Alto, CA: Steve lives a couple of miles away :), you can make the Mac / WinTel decision based on any factor you want. Repair when it breaks is not a consideration.

But Macs are no nightmare; in music and video production applications, they are preferred: ProTools for OS X runs rings around the Windows version; FinalCut Pro and Express, along with iDVD or DVD SP is better than the windows equivalents, etc.

But if you get a Mac, it is probably that at some point in the future, your favorite third party application (can you say Adobe Premier, which is inferior to Final Cut, imho) will like become Windows only.

And for the model RR crowd, if you want layout design, there is only one Mac option (Empire Express) which is inferior to the many Windows programs.

For the record, I own some small amount of both Apple and Microsoft stock; I have 5 Macs (iMac 600, iBook 500, G4/Cube 500, G4/500DP, G4/733) and 2 PCs (Dell P4/1.8Ghz, Dell Inspiron P3/300).

Ed

in article snipped-for-privacy@netnews.comcast.net, Steve Caple at snipped-for-privacy@commoncast.net wrote on 4/2/04 2:31 PM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

That can be said of all the Windoze Kool-Aid drinkers. I can't BEGIN to tell you how many of my users complain about Windows NT, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. When I ask them how often they hear a Mac user complain about any version of the Mac OS, they can't recall an instance (though I can; they are few). I follow up with asking why they don't switch, then.

"Oh, I hate Macs", they reply. Ever use one, I ask? "No."

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Want to know why Macs cost more? They are WORTH IT.

Right now, there are Mac Pluses running websites; here's one:

How many 8086/8088 or even 286s are there doing anything like it?

We have 6 year old PowerPC Macs still in service (including PowerComputing clones). No one even WANTS to see a 3 year old PC, much less use it.

The only reason I have a PC is because my new job as a Novell LAN Manager requires me to administer it from a PC (Virtual PC being too slow), and I have even had to buy one for the house to learn on.

I will give you that my Dell Optiplex 2.4GHz is quite sprightly, but I maintain that, given EQUAL quality software, Macs can do what PCs do, and with better graphics.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

In the spirit of disclosure, I use a Compaq Deskpro EN 1GHz at work. I own the following working Macs (and Mac clones) and PCs: a Mac Plus 1mb, a PowerBook 180, a Outbound PowerBook (Aussie clone-really cool), Color Classic*, PowerMac 9500/132*, PowerBook 3400/180*, PowerBook G3/500 (Wall Street)*, PowerBook G4/800*, PowerMac G4 dual 1.25GHz*, a Compaq Deskpro EN

1GHz*, a Dell Optiplex 260 2.4GHz*, and a Dell Poweredge 4300 dual 550 server*.

All are in working condition, and the ones marked by asterisk are in daily use for various things ranging from recipe depository/clock screensaver (Color Classic), to everyday work machine (PowerBook G4, PowerMac G4, Optiplex).

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

ONLY 6 years old? That's a young one... My PowerPC 6116CD is what... about

13 years old? It started off on System 6, and is now running System 8.1. (can a 186 run Windows 98? heh heh heh...) Most of the folks I know that use PCs have HAD to upgrade their hardware at least four times, if not more during that time - that makes my Mac a _better_ deal, and cheaper, than their PCs, and makes the Mac a _smarter_ buy. My Mac has outlived my Zip drive. On top of that, I've _never_ had a virus (knock on wood). I've used PCs at work with up-to-date operating systems, but have yet to find anything better for family use than the Mac user interface, or more secure than the Mac OS.

... and the used Mac SE30 that we bought 12 years ago for a "portable" computer for my MIDI stuff just died last year. It was only about what...

18 years old? Started on System 3 or 4, I think... and was running 7.5 when it died.

We're finally in the market for a new computer... and are looking at a new G5 top end system that can do audio and video editing... but then on the other hand we may go with a laptop with a 17" screen. I figure whatever we get it should be good for another 10 years minimum.

... and usually faster, to boot.

Seems to me that, considering all of the above, the lemmings are the ones who blindly follow the Cult of Bill, because "everyone else has it".

Reply to
Joe Ellis

That's easy...there are so few Mac users you won't hear a collective voice compared to the vast majority of computerdom running windows.

Reply to
jeboba

That's right, just because Premiere is no longer going to be supported on Macintosh, you should not even consider using the finest video editing program on the planet (Final Cut Pro, as used by major film studios), or its little brother (Final Cut Express).

There's a reason Adobe has given up; Apple's software is better and faster.

Same reason Microsloth gave up supporting IE on Mac OS; Safari is better (even though still not quite ready for prime time). M$ see the writing on the wall.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Bill, Got you beat by about $2M over the same period. Dell is by far my favorite manufacturer/distributor. They do have 3 basic classification levels for their customers; Corporate, Business, and Small Business/Home. I will say this, For their preferred Corporate customers, you had a specific Account reps, customer support representative, a private phone number to tech support, and various other perks. We were served either out of Florida or Texas for all our needs.

Now for the normal Business customers. The preferred Business had similar treatment to there corporate clients but not quite to the same level of perks. Regular Business customers had their call center(s) moved to Bangalore, India. After 9 months and rising complaints Dell moved their call center back to the US. SB/Home users are screwed (I know as I own 5 current dell 2350s and 2400s) as Dell has no intention to move the call centers any time soon.

I have experienced SOME problems in the regular Business category and a lot of problems in my Home Business category. I intensely dislike Dell's lower echelon service for their "non-important" customers. I intensely dislike speaking with their level 1 and level 2 tech people. None of them have a brain and only are taught to read from a prompted script. Interestingly enough, the level 3 support is still in the US.

Most notably, their level 1 personnel do not know the terminology or know what the components are called. Next time you talk to one ask them how to set (point) the computer clock to a standard clock. Caution, you will get a run-around. Next ask them how to install a second hard drive. Then get them to prove their statements. I assume that none of them have ever opened a PC up in their lives.

Other than having to deal with incompetents, Dell makes a dang good PC, laptop, and server. No matter which model you get.

I have had a few SCSI drive failures, A Seagate Tape Backup failure, Several card failures (Video, SCSI, etc.), A power supply or two, Several monitors, Backplanes, Mainboards. You know, in thinking about it, I expect I have seen problems in just about any of Dells individual components. But not very often and always isolated. As far as I am concerned Dell does have the best warranty service of all the major manufacturers.

In addition to Dell, I have experience with IBM PCs, laptops, and Servers, Gateway PCs and laptops, Sony PCs and Laptops, Toshiba laptops, Compaq Computers and laptops, HP Computers and servers (suck worse than IBMs) and other equipment. And much more (you ought to see my resume, the equipment fills an entire page LOL!), But I still cannot land a full time IT job! Sucks big time. At least the second job is going fair.

Art

Reply to
Art Marsh

How on earth could a virus crash a hard drive? The only permanent crash is a hardware related problem of which a Virus cannot contribute. Viruses tend to fill the drive with garbage or delete operating files. Either of which should not pose much of a problem at all. Depending on the file system used The level of difficulty is easy to hard. NTFS file systems require specialized software to circumvent but it is still possible to recover data and then recreate the OS.

Art

Reply to
Art Marsh

Don't waste your time Brian. 99.99% of all Macbashers have never touched an Apple computer of any kind They are just blowing hot air. Of those who claim otherwise, most of them are ~highly~ suspect. Ignore it. There is no need to engage in MAC VS PC debates. Pearls before swine.

Reply to
Froggy

BLASPHMY!!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I can see a virus constantly accessing the drive, and thrashing it to death. I have plugged a brand-new box into the network, and in 20 minutes (before I had a chance to apply the 32 critical patches to XP) I've gotten a worm which made using the thing impossible due to the cycles it was eating...

I suspect in this case, though, the problems were unrelated.

Don't bother to reply via email...I've been JoeJobbed.

Reply to
Jeff Sc.

Absolutely. The PC crowd KNOW they picked the wrong box, so they attempt to drag the rest of us down to their level so they won't feel so bad. Why bother indulging them?

I've had a Mac since 1986. I'm currently on only my fourth machine - how many Wintel types can say that?

Reply to
Mark Newton

We have taken to doing all our builds behind a firewall (router) for just this reason. Last summer, I had to rebuild my PC at the office, and it was infected before I could do the patches and A/V.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

in article snipped-for-privacy@sdn-ap-032tnnashp0483.dialsprint.net, Joe Ellis at snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com wrote on 4/2/04 6:29 PM:

The G5 2GHz has been out for some time now and imho is due for an upgrade for a higher clock rate (2.5GHz? 3GHz?), four internal drive bays, etc. I don't work for Apple so I don't know anything for a fact, but it makes sense that the the WWDC in June, new stuff will be announced. When they are, the current crop of 2GHz's will be fire sold at ClubMac et al.

I don't think the current G5 is the "10 year machine." As the first of its generation, it has experienced more software difficulties than normal for Macs, from weirdness in fan speed drivers to energy saver glitches. 10.3.3 fixes most of these, but check out the Apple discussion boards before deciding on your next "10 year machine." I'm waiting to replace my venerable G4/733 Superdrive (bought it the first week of Superdrive production) with a G5 until the new ones get announced.

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

And that is nonsense, too. There is some stuff which just runs better on Wintel. WinXP is quite stable and does a better job of information interchange with the rest of the monopoly world. CAD et al just work better there because of the plethora of software choices. Macs are better at gaphic design, video, and audio processing (FCP is SOOOO much better than Adobe Premier; there is no equivalent to iDVD or DVD SP for the price; and the pro audio production world is essentially ProTools on Mac).

If I want to run Linux, I guy an intel machine as well.

These constant bashings of one or the other (including me with my Microsoft Monopoly jibes) are actually pointless: Macs, Wintels, etc. are all good machines, are all a pain the the rear when something goes wrong because the likelihood of getting excellent, knowledgeable service from any of the providers is small for the average users (pro users know what to ask; average users get the "wipe your hard drive and reinstall" canned response).

Users need to find a supplier they trust (see Will@creditv... comments: he's right on about local providers and it does take some research), determine what they will use the computer for (just internet mail and news groups? Doesn't matter what you get. Complicated pro-sumer video editing? Mac. Layout design or general business software? Wintel...etc.) and then get educated about these complicated devices.

Ed

in article snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au, Mark Newton at mark snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.au wrote on 4/3/04 8:08 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Rumor also has it there will be two optical drive bays, like on the "Dual Mirror Door" G4 models.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni