Re: Who looks for L@@K?

In article

It's even worse for model trains: http://xrl.us/LookKook

Anything to garner attention........but of course the problem is that if *everyone's* putting "L@@K!" in their auction titles then nobody notices it anyway except to sneer momentarily as they skim past.
My personal disfavorite is seeing "RARE!" included in an auction for something like a brass locomotive that was built in quantities of several thousand, and which can be found almost underfoot on a daily basis.
It makes one wonder who the sellers think they're fooling.
~Pete
Twibil wrote:

Themselves, mostly. Most of them haven't a clue - they just know that they can usually sell yard-sale stuff for more than they paid for it.

LOL... and just how is that fooling themselves?

~Pete

title. To me, it is juvenile, unprofessional, and implies utter stupidity on the part of the seller, so figure it's not worth the hassle of dealing business with that type of person.
On 4/1/2009 11:17 PM Twibil spake thus:

Bigger idiots than themselves?
I contrast this to my own selling experiences on eBay, a couple of years ago. I sold a bunch of stuff, mostly photographic equipment, and had very good results and got good prices for my stuff.
My approach was pretty simple: I gave concise and accurate descriptions in the title (no "L@@K!" or "MUST SEE!", certainly not ALL CAPS). I described the item completely and honestly, pointing out any flaws as well as the good points. I didn't try to hype how rare or "mint" the item was. I put up nice big photos, again showing any obvious flaws as well as how gorgeous the rest of the item was. I answered any questions that prospective bidders asked me.
The other thing I learned is that you really don't have to be so paranoid about setting the right starting bid. I emulated another seller of photographic goods, "dagor77", who always starts all of his auctions at the same bid: 77 cents! And he ends up getting hundreds of dollars for his items. The reality is that if you do as I did, and if you have something that has intrinsic value, it will rise to the proper price, even if you start the bidding at a penny. No need to set a $19.95 starting bid. (By the way, I *never* set a reserve price, which I find extremely annoying when I bid on an item.)
I had a 100% feedback rating (which has disappeared, unfortunately, since eBay very unwisely changed the way they present feedback scores). Meaning that I got absolutely no negative feedback.
mostly pears.
in the category "Coins & Paper Money" out of a total of 334,579 listings (0.57% of all listings)
On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 00:22:05 -0600 (MDT), Ned

My $0.02 is that they're idiots that waste valuable space in the title line that they could be using for keywords to help with potential buyers search parameters. Plus pissin' most people off, I reckon.
My pet eBay peeve is the incorrectly and over used term "vintage". The dumb s**ts think if an item is over two weeks old it is 'vintage', which is totally inappropriate usage. If you're going to use the word you also need to include a freakin' year! I don't think they own a dictionary!
--
The seabat
Filtering GoogleGroups & Goobers with extreme prejudice!
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 07:51:21 -0500, The Seabat wrote:

L@@K! RARE AIR! Vintage farts! Or azs they say in French, and my old team ball cap says, "Vieux Pet"
--
Steve

HUGE Tyco New Haven train set VERY RARE
( 1 engine, 3 coaches and 12 pieces of track )
Those are the ones I wish I could reach through the screen and bitch slap )
On Apr 3, 5:28�pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And speaking of not knowing how to spell
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Old-HO-Scale-RARE-Brass-diecast-0-6-0_W0QQitemZ150335302418QQihZ005QQcategoryZ78178QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
And thanks alot, now I'm wasting my time looking at all the auctions listed with "RARE" in them.
We could at least do a weekly contest on who finds the worst add............
In article <53326563-795e-4ce3-b474- snipped-for-privacy@u8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com> snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Quite a few of those: http://xrl.us/RareMyAss
I know one eBay seller who uses "~" instead of spaces in his listing's titles. I asked him why and he told me to attract buyers attention and to be different from other sellers.
I have no idea if his method works and I don' t think there is a relabel method to measure if his method is more successful than plain titles.
Peteski

Watch sales from TGood, He starts everything at .99 and usually gets more than the idiots with a start bid of $39
On 4/6/2009 1:03 AM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

Exactly what I was saying; if your auction is good, you can start the bidding at a penny and it will rise to the appropriate price.
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself