Reference Books For Modeling a Rail/Port Scence

Hi

I'm in the process of designing a new layout, and I'm interested in modeling a sea port, roughly in the 70-80s time frame. I haven't decided which commodities it will ship, but I've narrowed it down to containers, coal and grain/bulk items. I'm looking for a book or magazine article that can show me some of the equipment used, track arrangements and how the railroad interacted, so to speak, with ships. For the Intermodal part of the equation, I plan on looking into the book published by Kalmback "The Model Railroader's Guide to Intermodal Equipment and Operations", (by the way does that include the action at the port itself?), but I can't find a lot on coal or grain operations at a sea port. The port can be ocean or Great Lake.

Thanks!

Reply to
Ken Hammer

Walthers has sponsored a series of books that complement their recent releases of structured related to types of industries. I'm aware of their books on steel, auto manufacturing, lumber, and lake/sea ports. The latter is titled "Railroading Along the Waterfront", by Eli Rantanes as told to Laura Sebastian-Coleman, published by Wm. K. Walthers in 1997, ISBN

0-941952-53-3. The books have a slight bias towards the use of the Walthers structure kits, but this does not dominate the books (particularly the waterfront book) and they have a lot of useful info and photos. I think the Waterfront book is just what you seek. Gary Q
Reply to
Geezer

Contact Kalmbach Publications (Model Railroader) and see if you can get reprints or back issues of Mike Broadway's series on the Port of Mobile. Mike lives in Mobile and models the port area around the Alabama State Docks, Siebert Yard and Beauregard street Yard. It was a jam-up feature and covers all the topics you mention. I will be in Charleston South Carolina through next weekend and will be glad to take a few shots for you of the port and the container handling dock. I don't have a time machine though, so I can only get you shots in real time :-(

..............F>

Mobile, AL

Reply to
Froggy

I live near the Union Pacific RR. My estimate is that in excess of

100 cars per hour of Wyom>Hi
Reply to
Rebel

Most of those coal trains run direct to a power plant. Some of the BNSF trains take the northern route(old NP mainline) to Superior, WI. They unload at a rail to ship facility there. I beleive that some 'export' coal is shipped to the west coast for shipment to the Pacif Rim. Export grain can travel via 'all rail' to the Gulf, or be transfered to barges(depends on the shipping cost). Most 'export' grain shipped to the west coast goes by rail(no east-west river).

Jim Bernier

Rebel wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

Those of us living along the Columbia / Snake system are going to be a little surprised to hear that there are no East / West rivers and no grain traffic on barges.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Thank you, I will!

Thank you very much for the offer Froggy! I would gladly take and greatly appreciate any pictures you could e-mail me. Although it's more modern then I am modeling, I still think that they would be a valuable resource, especially in terms of how the tracks are laid out. Please feel free to contact me off line at this address to work out any details.

Reply to
Ken Hammer