Rivarossi FEF Decoder?

Hello All,

I recently purchased a pair of the new Rivarossi FEF's that are DCC ready and was wondering which decoder will best fit inside?

Thanks,

Dan

Reply to
Dan A. Currie, Jr.

I believe you need to remove one of the domes to get at the DCC socket? If so, the space inside is very tight. I suggest the N12SRP by NCE. It's very small but offers a full feature set, including silent running.

Reply to
Digital Railroader LLC

If you haven't already purchased a decoder, try a Digitrax DZ-123PS.

Captain Handbrake

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

I used a Digitrax DZ143. Seems to work ok.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

That was also an excellent choice!

Reply to
Digital Railroader LLC

Actually, it was the DZ143PS (? I think, the short harness to the

8-pin plug). Pop the cover (the forward dome on the loco) plug the decoder in, place on programming track. Program, place on DCC (or DC since I picked the "Operate when on DC" option) ... play with train.

I'm not so happy with the loco itself. It tends to derail on a whim (the front truck which then seems to then drag the drivers off as well). The front truck is incredibly finicky with turnouts. Without the traction tyre it can hardly pull itself up a < 2% grade. All in all, not my most favorite engine. It's the only engine that any club member is aware of that clips one of the tunnel walls (just inside the portal).

The elephant ear just nicks the layout support which is just inside the tunnel entrance. Ok, I only had to shave off a 1/16 of an inch to make it clear. There are a couple of other members with FEF3's (not Rivarossi) and they clear things quite readily ... miss by at least 1/16).

It is easily the most troublesome engine in our fleet.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse