roadbed sound dampening

I'm in early planning stages for the (HO) Oakcrest & Iroqoius Point Railway, and my first consideration is the optimum construction method
for the main tabletop. I am considering sandwiching 1/2" or 3/4" sheetorock on both sides of a sheet of 3/4" plywood. I am also wondering if anyone has experimented with the type of sound-dampening material used in many apartment buildings underneath ceramic tile.
I really want to kill the (relatively) high frequency "toy train" sound.
Comments/Suggestions?
Richard wrote:

Extruded foam board like they use under vynil sideing might dampen sound better and be less vulnerable to moisture damage.
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 23:11:45 -0500, RobertVA wrote:

And one hell of a lot lighter!
--
Steve