SD50's

Latest SD50's. Any views on the Proto2K version relative to the forthcoming Athearn RTR version?

Regards

Len

Reply to
Len

While the P2k's have begun hitting the shelves, the Athearn's aren't out yet. Makes it kinda hard to do a lengthy comparison. The test shots I've seen of the Athearn, as nice as they may be, don't really count for a comparison since the final product may differ. But I have looked at one P2k SD50, an SP one, and my observations were:

- they used the incorrect anticlimbers for an Espee, ex-DRGW unit. The prototypes have the "blunt" walkway extension, but P2k used the late SD50/SD60 angled style anticlimber instead.

- The "SP" nose initials were way too small, not to mention being done in a darker lettering gray color. They should be white, or very close to white.

- HT-C sideframes are still undersized and too wide, a carry-over from the SD60.

Aside from that, the paint and lettering (except for the nose lettering) looked good, and the correct, shorter fuel tank (for Chessie/DRGW/SP) is another nice feature. I passed on the P2k's though, and intend to get the Athearns once they're out, since I've been impressed with what I've seen of their SD50 so far. Naturally, YMMV.

Paul

"Ride's Getting Rough, So I Know I'd Better Buckle P-U-N-X Tattoed on my Knuckles Hey Man, You Keep the Shackles Cause I am FREE!"

D.J., D.J. Transplants

Reply to
Paul

Yep. And probably the same gearbox, but the new zippity-speedway motor like the SD45. Maybe. Odds are, it not only won't run with the Katos it won't run with the previous SD60s either.

They also fixed the location of the dynamic brake intake. On one side only.

And the GP38-2 is now showing up. Saw one at the Lake Region meet this weekend. It has a new error, this one has never been seen before... it's a new kind of fan mistake. It has 42" 48" fans. Yep, the fans are too small. Apparently they made the base flange 48" instead of the actual shroud, or something like that. At least it's something easily (and commonly) replaced. Oh yeah, the trucks look shallow (Blomberg-M), and Proto has finally done away with their Athearn clone geep trucks, so you can't just stick Athearn sideframes on them and go. Trucks look like Atlas clones, but don't know what their gear ratio is, or how they will behave with the motor-of-the-month.

I think I'll stick with the Athearn GP38-2, a model with very little wrong with it and a lot of flexibility, and still reasonably priced. There is nothing I'll have to do to the Athearn (up to and including replacing the motor) that I wouldn't also do to the P2K. May as well use what I have and save a few $$.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

Paul / Andy,

Thanks for the info............... Looks like the Athearn's get the vote! Hope they turn out as good as the preliminary shots suggest. (Would like a few in DRGW!)

Regards

Len.

Reply to
Len

These are very nice engines. They have the same trucks AFAICT as the SD60s and gearing also. The shells and details are very nice. Paint is excellent. Running is very good.

Not sure how Athearn is going to do a better job except in the trucks.

Reply to
MrRathburne

They run at the exact same speed as the SD60s. They MU perfectly.

The SD45s are a different story.

Reply to
MrRathburne

We'll see. The Athearn early test shots and deco samples I've seen look very, very impressive.

Paul

"Ride's Getting Rough, So I Know I'd Better Buckle P-U-N-X Tattoed on my Knuckles Hey Man, You Keep the Shackles Cause I am FREE!"

D.J., D.J. Transplants

Reply to
Paul

My SD50 ran perfectly with my SD60.

Reply to
me

Interesting... there were some reports that the SD60Ms ran faster than the SD60s so I thought perhaps the 50s would have something even different yet.

Andy

- Pre-Interstate Urban Archaeology

Andy Harman

I never did get any of the SD60M's, so I can't comment on those, but I didn't notice any bucking or anything with the SD60 and the new SD50. Had them running around the layout pulling a 50+ car grain train for at least 2 hours with no problems.

Reply to
me

Reply to
MrRathburne