Signalling Query

Genessee and Wyoming is a US railroad operating in Canada, Australia, Mexico and Bolivia.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I'm curious if that works out to prototypical usage like it would for the autoroutes. Heck, because it does work with autoroutes probably means Canada will never get a unified highway numbering system between provinces.

Reply to
Paul Johnson

That's nice. ;-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Oh, but it *is* relevant here, since it was one of the systems used to control trains on narrow gauge lines in North America.

Then you don't know as much as think you do - it's a term, and a system, used in North America. The term is not used as such in the UK.

Indeed, that's *ONE* of the systems used. But not the only one. You're just displaying your ignorance now, Wolf.

Yes, when I *am* right, and people who think they know more than they do post stuff that is wrong...

Try a simple google search on the term "manual block", Wolf, and see how many references you can find to it being used on North American railroads. Or refer to the classic publication, "The Rights Of Trains"...

Reply to
Mark Newton

Wrong again - refer to numerous Eastern railroad rulebooks for more detailed descriptions of manual block...

Reply to
Mark Newton

With hindsight, my initial flippant response to this comment failed to address an important point.

Wolf, why do you think it's acceptable to post information here that is wrong? If this newsgroup is intended to help modellers by exchanging information, why shouldn't erroneous or incorrrect post be challenged, and corrected?

Reply to
Mark Newton

I usually put in a "generally" or an "AFAIK". I thought I did so in my posts. NB that "generally" does _not_ "universally". I'll grant my ignorance, though - there are a lot of exceptions. I personally interpret statements as "general" unless otherwise qualified, ie, "exceptions expected."

The post I was commenting on was about the use of the train order signal, which the poster assumed was a block signal. (He actually described a train order signal attached to the station.) Even if the train order signal showed "pick up orders", the train didn't necessarily stop. The train order signal was set to "clear" by default, and remained so even if a train made a scheduled stop. It was not a block signal, so to speak of "manual block" in relation to it is IMO confusing. That confusion was what I was addressing. I apologise for any confusion I added by my ignorance of manual block signalling in N. America.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Didn't you guys sit in the balcony during the Muppet show ?

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

HEHEHE...

Big Rich Soprano

Very good!

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

DING!.. DING!.. DING!.. DING!..

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Ahhh my good friend, are you not signaling with the words you just typed ?

Seems almost all railroads at least use a bell on the loco for signals.........

Ding Ding for hashmarks in Ogden !

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

No bells on New Zealand locos!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Then I stand corrected.

What about ice cream trucks in New Zealand ?

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

Reply to
Tony

Mr Whippy? They played a semi-musical piece, I'd guess a record player and a railway station announcements amplifier/speaker system! It sounded something like pulling the cutlery drawer in the kitchen out too far and spilling all the forks on the floor, except that it continued for several minutes.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Yah good point but somehow i don't see them using them from ground to train signals...

Oh man that's so inside hehehe...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

What do they use - bagpipes?

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

That name is so much better than the Mr Softee franchise over here! I've even written words to the Mr Softee tune it was bugging me so much!

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Whistles on steam locos. (well until 1977) Horns on Diseasals.

Reply to
Greg Procter