Slip Switch Track

There is no such a thing as "universally understood terminology". Even English words mean different things in different countries.

Bonnet and boot to an American are articles of clothing, to someone from Britain they are parts of a car/truck.

Agreed, any open minded person with a desire to learn will only enrich their experience by learning about diversity, not wanting everyone to conform to his/her particular way of thinking/talking. It is when we look outside of our normal "little world" that we learn and grow.

Reply to
wannandcan

What kind of Swiss Cheese? They make many kinds of cheeses in Switzerland. I like them all.

................F>

Smartaz, GA.

Reply to
Froggy

I am as enriched as I want to be. I would like to know about SLIP SWITCHES on model railroads.

James R Stewart

Reply to
Jim Stewart

What would you like to know? I'm sure that we all would enjoy the topic. Ask some questions to get the thing started.

Reply to
Froggy

Thanks for bringing up this subject. Something I was just thinking about. I had not considered the temperature/pressure drop issue. Not to mention the FLAMMABILITY issue. Yikes!

I use nitrogen bottles as a source for a small, laboratory (single pass) sand blaster. Regulator reduced to about 40 psi. I was wondering if this nitrogen source might be also suitable for an airbrush, of course more reduced pressure. A 4-5 foot tall 1800 psi nitrogen bottle refill costs about $9. The regulator about $80. Probably last for a long time.

I have experienced those problems with the little cans that get very cold after some use and introduce condensed water into the air stream and ruin your paint project.

Thanks for your help RMR!

Best Regards,

Robert

Reply to
Robert

That is the "railway era" which still continues today.

Roll your history back a little further. Iron plates were placed on the wooden rails of coal tramways to extend the life of those rails.

When the current function still deserves the term, who is to say.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

OK, I'll throw a (US) term in for you to play with: "Railroad" vs "Railway". I read a discussion in MR magazine in the late '60s or early '70s - the bottom line was that around a third of US rail systems were called "Railways" - the US hobby now universally calls them "Railroads" - what happened?

It doesn't exist, but once a group like the NMRA creates a standard for terminology the diversity begins to die.

What is a "switchman"? (I genuinely don't know what the precise position is)

If you think it important that those reading should understand, then yes.

I'm a New Zealander modelling old time German railroads - I'm arguing _for_ diversity of language. (and descriptive terms if they must be standardised)

Regards, the one and only Greg.P. Takaka, NZ.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Trunk and Hood in English are a big suitcase and the folding roof cover on a convertable.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Me.

This thing.

Here.

This one.

This way.

Simple answers for a simple man. Now do you feel enlightened?

Don't bother to reply via email...I've been JoeJobbed.

Reply to
Jeff Sc.

No, but answers from simple people often leave me feeling that way.

Why are we fighting?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Mark the expert knows the 42 foot rail motors of the NSWGR, CPH's nick name is the Tin Hare. Unfortunately our resident expert has got it wrong again. NSW never had any diesel hydraulic rail motors. The Tin Hare was converted from petrol mechanical to diesel mechanical drive which had a hydraulic torque converter instead of a mechanical gear box.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Uhhhhhhh, not that I would ever "take sides" in the Flynn/Newton feud, but Terry, isn't a system where a reciprocating engine drives a torque converter mechanical drive an (engine-type) / hydraulic. That is; in the case of a diesel powered shunting locomotive with a torque converter which in turn drives cardan shafts transmitting power to the bogies, do you not have a diesel/hydraulic locomotive? I don't know that I have ever known of a diesel/hydraulic railway locomotive such that the wheels were turned by hydraulic motors. For that matter I don't know of the cardan shafts being turned by hydraulic motors. To my way of thinking a diesel/mechanical would have a manually operated transmission in the manner of large highway tractors. At any rate it sounds to me like the Tin Hares were, in fact diesel/hydraulic after the upgrading

Please elaborate on your terminology and the reasons for it.

Reply to
Froggy

Terry Flynn wrote: >

If you have anything to say, do so via e-mail, or in person. I'm not wasting any more time trading slurs and insults with you on any newsgroup.

If you have anything to say, do so via e-mail, or in person. I'm not wasting any more time trading slurs and insults with you on any newsgroup.

Reply to
Mark Newton

The NSWGR and it's heirs and successors described the CPHs and their ilk as diesel-hydraulics, likewise the once numerous 73 class shunting locos, and the modern Xplorer and Endeavour cars. All of which employ a torque converter between the engine and the final drive. But as Flynn has been known to argue "that the termonolgy used in the 'official'documents is not the best or correct term", we can expect more of his sophistry in response to your question. Good luck.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Well, not really, and shouting won't make it so.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Well since you are up and about, what is your say on the subject. It is a foregone conclusion that Australian and North American English are not always the same with respect to the intended meaning of some words.

Reply to
Froggy

Terry, better do what Mark insists, he is tired of you humiliating him in public. He wants you to take it private. I know you have nothing to hide, But Mark obviously does not want to be shown up in public.

Reply to
wannandcan

How do you do the wiring?

Should DCC be different from DC?

Will one work on a tight curve?

Peco vs Shinohara?

I have a ten by 10 room and am TRYING to make passenger division point activity.....

I am not against anyone saying whatever they want, I do some myself. But I do wish I could read a thread that talked about something important to me without mostly offtopic there.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Stewart

That's pretty much where we started, exactly the same as the two turnouts its equivalent to. The two outside rails are plus and minus, the left frog is switched by the right blades, the right frog by the left blades. Four wires go to the rails, one to each side and one to each of the frogs. The K crossings are each connected to the nearest outside rail.

No.

Depends, but generally not a good idea.

Forget, build your own.

After you have had the various views presented the topic either dies or sparks an OK discussion like this one went to Torii.

Unless you ask follow up questions. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Yes, in some cases that is obviously so. But I would say that the phrase "diesel/hydraulic" means the same thing in both countries - and common usage supports that interpretation. I note that Alco described their DH-643s as diesel-hydraulic, as did EMD with their GMDH-1s, and Plymouth their range of torque converter industrial locomotives. All these locos were of the engine-torque converter-final drive configuration.

Reply to
Mark Newton