Stolen items on eBay

You can dispute with your credit card. However, you MUST first dispute with PayPal. Even if you know they will deny the claim. If you don't dispute with them first, and allow them to deny, they may freeze your account when you dispute with your card.

I know it seems like a waste of time, but that's the procedure. PayPal doesn't want to be blindsided.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

"Not all sellers are rip-offartists, Try the buyers. One of the things that is happening in the brass marketplace is the "zero-cost-upgrade."

Sounds cool. Gotta try this. :-)

"You the seller have a mint piece of brass which you put on Ebay. You get bids, and finally someone buys it. He may even bid it up over what its worth!

Buyer pays for and gets the model. Then he sends a message and tells you the model was misrepresented. Not the model in the photos, Condition was not mint, etc., etc. He then complains to Ebay, gives you bad feedback, you know the drill. He wants his money back."

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

  1. Once you have their money, never give it back.

"So you, the seller, get fed up and give him his money back. You get your model back, but it isn't the same model! It the same make and type but its all beat up! You don't even get your original box!"

Well if you're going to be a dumbass and actually accept it back you deserve this.

If you get bad feedback so f-ing what?

Start a new account.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

One of the "nicest" things about the Internet is that a complete idiot no longer has to take his soap box to the city park and rant and rave until he draws a crowd.

Reply to
PEACHCREEK

The one time I disputed a charge my credit card company insisted that I prove good faith by making a documented attempt to straighten out the problem with the vendor.

Reply to
Greg Pavlov

What version did the auction say that it was? Did it say it was a non-Japanese version?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

"One of the "nicest" things about the Internet is that a complete idiot no longer has to take his soap box to the city park and rant and rave until he draws a crowd."

So what are you doing with your soap box now that your not using it as a podium anymore?

Anyone who would return money or accept an item back from a buyer from an ebay sale needs to be given a mental competancy evaluation.

The only reason a buyer gets his money back is if he bought insurance from the Post Office and the item didn't arrive or came damaged. Other than that...he's on his own.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

They're very handy for storing rolling stock boxes in! :-)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Eric, the other reason a buyer should get his money back is if the seller made a mistake in the listing. Sometimes honest mistakes happen and money should be--and is--returned.

There are other cases where sellers are off-loading "cubic zerconiums" as "diamonds." My unfortunate experience is that such money never gets returned.

I f>Anyone who would return money or accept an item back from a buyer from

Reply to
Ccutler0

That's a problem rate of 25, or one in four. Far too high, and if generally true, just confirms my feeling that e-bay was not worth trying out. Thanks for saving me money! I find that traditional sources have a problem rate of less than 1%. Of course, I try to forestall problems by doing some homework before I buy... :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I also do some homework before I buy on eBay. My problem rate is 0%.

Jim Bright

Reply to
jhbright

Thus far, I've had no problems with my ebay activity. I always go by the seller's ratings. I also check their most recent transactions even if they enjoy a 100% rating.

I admit to not having purchased any model railroad equipment on ebay, but I have purchased coins and firearms related items.

My preference is to use PayPal or credit card. If the seller doesn't have this as an option, I use postal money orders as opposed to any form of check.

Don't know if I've just been lucky, but I've not had problems. In at least one instance, the item purchased was in better shape than advertised, and the other items were as described.

Carl Heinz

Reply to
Carl Heinz

I've only had one problem with a seller on Ebay and it was via PayPal and my bank's Visa card. I had let it get past PayPal's 60 days from auction close limit, but my Visa allowed 60 days from date of billing.

I disputed the charge, and eventually my bank got my Visa money back.

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Mitton