Stonecutting or Monument Works prototype?

Does anyone know of a stonecutting operation, monument works or gravestone factory served by rail? I'm just starting research and I'm not sure if any such operation would need dedicated rail service.

Reply to
AllenWhite

Check references for the Rutland or other Vermont railroads.

Reply to
Ken Cameron

On 10 Nov 2006 04:50:14 -0800, AllenWhite posted in article ...

The Rockton and Rion in South Carolina, tracks on which the SC Railroad Museum is operating.

Pics of the R&R:

SC Railroad Museum:

OvC

Hi Allen,

Here in BC on vancouver island there was a stone cutting on newcastle island during the 1800;s and the stone was barged to nanimio and put on flat cars and run down the esquimalt & nanimio railway to victoria to build the parlement buildings and provide stone for the causeway.

Reply to
Brock Bailey

Sheepscot used to make a kit called Acadia Granite which featured a heavy-duty crane for transferring granite blocks between rail and barge operations. From the looks of their web site they have dropped all of their structures and are concentrating on just small accessory kits. Glad I bought Acadia Granite and the Lime Co. while they were available.

Rick Jones

I saw a flat car load of Granite stone in Waverly MN in the 70's on a siding behind a grave stone company along good old US 12. This is about 45 miles west of Minneapolis.

Reply to
Arizona Rock & Mineral Co.

Reply to
AllenWhite

Often in olden times when they were building harbour breakwaters and moles, the stone for these would be transported to the site by rail from a nearby quarry. Sometimes these lines were narrow gauge, occasionally up to 7 feet gauge. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce