SV: Fwd: Terry Flynn - Unnecessary abuse of

Salvé

A phrase that was once commonly used in Australia to describe a slim or > non-existant chance was: > > "You've got two chances, Buckley's and none", or the similar "You've got > Buckley's chance". >

Well Buckley shouldnt have tried to cross that desert........ Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

He wasn't to know that until he had tried and was about to fail!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

Sounds like when someone says "If you don't know, you need to ask" I have always thought that is a ridiculous thing to say to someone. If you don't know, then you also don't know that you need to ask.

"It ain't what a man knows that gets him into trouble. It's what he thinks he knows, but don't"

I forgot where I got that, but it isn't mine. I think Clemens, but not sure.

CH

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

Perhaps you should ask?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

I did, but no one that I asked could do any better than I. Do you know?

Could be Clemins, could be Will Rogers, could be Rob Roy, could be Voltaire. Right now, I dunno But I do know that it wasn't me.

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

LOL! That wasn't Buckley, that was Burke! :-)

mark_newton

I don't, but I'm fairly sure it's been around a very long time.

Voltaire is a possibility, but it probably predates him. (although the accent would differ from your quote)

Reply to
Greg.P.

I knew it was some 'B...' Australian! So who was Buckley?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

Greg.P. wrote: >

William Buckley was an escaped convict who spent something like 30 years living with the Aborigines before returning to "civilisation". He is usually described as the inspiration for the phrase, although another version is that it is merely a play on words, based on the once-famous Melbourne shop of Buckley's and Nunn.

Reply to
mark_newton

Well I nearly got it right............just like Burke...... nicer guy than the British Burke of Burke and hare fame :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf