Toggle switch question

Two. What other interpretation coud you get from "NONE"?

Some swithces have a cneter OFF, some have center ON, and others have no ceter position. If your database of descriptioons (which could be a three-column table) needs an entry in each field, what else do you put?

Maybe it's just the way Engineers think, but it makes perfect sense to me... I understood exactly what was described, even before I looked at the catalog to see the other listings for comparison.

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom

You are speaking for all Engineers? When was that vote taken?

It was my first guess but, that doesn't make it a good notation.

If there is no position to describe why is it being described?

A switch described as:

ON-ON

could be described as:

ON-NONE-NONE-NONE-NONE-NONE-NONE-NONE-ON

BUT, why bother?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

If this is the site which started all the debate:

"alliedelec.com"

go there and search for "dpdt on-on", then search for "dpdt on-none-on" they produce different results. NOT very useful, they themselves can't keep it straight. What if Frank wanted a:

NONE-ON-NONE-NONE-ON-NONE-ON-NONE

As an Engineer you understand what Frank is looking for.

Do you think a search will find the on-on-on switch he is really after? It's a goofy, useless notation. How many combinations of "none" do I need to specify in a search to get the full list of DPDT toggles Allied has available?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

I bought a "ON-NONE-ON" switch and there is no off position. It is a two position switch ON-ON.

ChrisGW

Reply to
ChrisGW

I think we have all agreed that "ON-NONE-ON" means "ON-ON".

It's a goofy, confused, useless notation. Even the website can't figure out what is intended.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Last month. I reckon you missed the meeting.

By definition, it does. If everyone (including you) understands, then it works. Why complicate things?

Please note what I wrote above:

You read that bit, right?

Because toggle switches commonly have more than one and less than four positions. That's all. No more, no less. A database needs three fields to describe the action of each position for 99.7% of all toggle switches. For the positions that don't exist, you say "NONE" in that field.

Why do you have to make this more difficult than it is?

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom

Why do you feel the need to make the same point twice, in two different posts? Do you think my reading comprehension skills are the same as yours?

You search for what you want - dpdt toggle. Then you look at the catalog pages returned to find the style you want.

But, just to satisfy ~you~, I looked at all 119 unsealed toggle switches. Guess how many are ON-ON?

None.

That's right, there are ZERO switches in the Allied catalog that meet your criteria. So your choice of "dpdt on-on" was simply a poor choice of search terms...like when my seven year old daughter want to find information about Barbie, and was about to Google on "baby doll"

- yes, she would have got plenty of hits, but ~not~ what she was searching for.

I've often felt that the mark of a good education is not what you know, but how well you are able to find what you need to know.

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom

No mention of it in the minutes. Sounds more like you were at the Mass Marketing Drivel workshop.

I guessed that might be it and several others did also. BUT it was a guess. The notation contains unnecessary information.

Why indeed!? ON-ON is right to the point no frivolous and unneeded description of positions that doesn't exist.

You are defending a broken implementation.

For the positions that don't exist you say nothing. Where did you learn how to organize a database? Or write code? I'll want to make sure my grandkids don't go to that school.

I'm not the one trying to defend a notation that is filled with frivolous descriptions of things that don't exist. You can't deal with your own design.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

You apparently don't have any reading skills or you would have realized the point is different. Allied can't keep their notation straight.

"

" It thinks it's a "dpdt on-on".

Your words.

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

OK, you win, I'm a complete idiot who couldn't pour water out of a boot if the instructions were written on the heel.

Whatever...

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom