Train Shops

Is anyone familiar with a shop called L&N Trains in Louisville?

I am told they have a good selection of L&N flagged locos and rolling stock, something I am having a hard time finding.

For the L&N to have been such a large carrier in its day, it's amazing how little stuff there is out there. Is this a case of CSX getting uptight about trademarks?

It won't be too long before I am seriously in the market for locos and rolling stock. My benchwork is built. The track layout is (almost) finalized. I'm building my two clearance-critical structures now to make sure everthing fits before I start nailing stuff down. Once the track is down, I'll want to do a bit of operating to make sure this whole rig is going to suit me before I get into the long process of building scenery and the rest of the structures.

Reply to
Norman Morgan

Does anyone know of a source for background buildings such as Walthers Instant buildings? Either to purchase and put on sheet foam to be cut out and then used against backdrop or to download and print to then be used the same way. Thanks

Reply to
Don Goebel

Does anyone know of a source for background buildings such as the Walthers Instant buildings? Either to purchase and put on sheet foam to be cut out and then used against backdrop or to download and print and then be used the same way. (Sorry Norman that I goofed and accidentally first put this under your Train Shops thread) Thanks

Reply to
Don Goebel

"Don Goebel" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

That's OK. It's the only response I got!

As for your instant buildings, not to be a smartass, but why not direct from Walthers? I've bought a bunch of stuff that way lately.

Reply to
Norman Morgan

Backdrop Warehouse

is one source. Wide range of sizes and styles. They will custom print a backdrop for you, from your own photos if you like. Pricey, but the sample I got from them is very nice. Larger sizes can be used as mural-type wallpaper for your family room.

Your digital camera and image-processing software are such a source. Advantages: your backdrops will be unique. Disadvantages: it takes some work. Warning: heavy use of a camera has been known to cause development of another hobby. :-)

Another source is building kits themselves: Their backs and fronts can be finished as if for a complete building, and then used just like Walthers' Instant Buildings. And of course they can be built with shallow sidewalls if you want a more 3D effect. In some cases, the illustration on the box can be used, especially if it's partly hidden by other illustrations. They are often less than full size, so they can produce a forced perspective effect.

Major problem with all methods: creating a coherent look. Architectural style, styles of art and photography, colour palettes in the images must all work together, or the illusion is spoiled.

Google on "model railroad backdrops", and you will find a few sources of free downloadable and printable backdrops, including buildings. Almost all from fellow modellers and model RR clubs, last time I looked. They deserve an expression of thanks IMO.

HTH&HF

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

I think Don wants more variety. As do we all. Variety is the spice of life. Model railroading is life. Therefore, variety is the spice of model railroading. :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

That's correct. :-)

I have about 14' along part of my backdrop in which to use that type of buildings. I already have the Walthers but want to avoid repetition over that distance. Some of it can be broken up with thin foreground buildings or by using just one wall of kit buildings, which is what I have been planning on doing. Although for several feet I laid my track to close for even that.

Reply to
Don Goebel

may be able to help.

Reply to
+GF+

Those look great. What a variety of choices. Some of those buildings can be made to look fine on a western USA type layout. I'll give a few a try but first I have to find out how many US dollars 50 Euros are and how much the postage from Sweden to Arizona would be. I'll sent them an email and ask. Thanks again.

Reply to
Don Goebel

I have found them to be easy to deal with and they will deal with the US as I have several of their things. Found them on Ebay. He sent everything by airmail.

Reply to
+GF+

"Don Goebel" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Google image search ??

Reply to
Gordon Reeder

How about taking pictures of smaller buildings, then printing them on your computer? Glue them to a piece of foam board and you are ready to go.

I once had a building drawing in one of the magazines enlarged, then mounted that on a piece of foamboard. I used colored markers for color and details. I even used some plastic strip stock to make window sills, etc. I added a loading tock and a few other odds & ends. I pretty inexpensive background building.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Thanks to you and the others for your suggestions. Don

Reply to
Don Goebel