Train simulator programs

What are the major commercially available train simulator programs?

Microsoft Train Simulator Auran Trainz Boso View Express

... others?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Actually, Microsoft Train Simulator has been out of production for some time, and no new version is going to be produced. From time to time, however, a bunch will show up at some retailer.

It's my understanding that a company called "Train Artisan" (who made some very nice add-ons for MSTS) is currently working on a completely new train simulator.

Boso View Express....I wouldn't quite say that is commercially available, it's more of a freeware thing that anyone can download. I've never seen references to it being retailed anywhere.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

As long as I see it listed at Amazon.com, that's proof enough to me that's available commercially.

Every two months I update

with a new poll (either model or prototype related), and I was thinking of running one on "favorite train simulator programs." So I was looking for ideas of programs to list.

The poll just ending is: " What's your favorite railroad hobby activity?"

Reply to
Mark Mathu

This page seems to indicate that it is being sold:

-- Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com (11/09/04)

Reply to
Top Spin

I just bought a CD of Microsofts Train Simulator less then two weeks ago at Staples. They still have a web site that supports additional engines and I think routes.

It looks alive and well to me.

Jack

Reply to
HiJack

You can buy Microsoft Train Simulator at Amazon.com for $8.99. This sounds like a close-out to me!!!

---john.

Reply to
John Haskey

There is a really cool add on route at

Its a really good add on for MSTS.

raildriver.com also makes a simulator. I think its supposed to be really accurate but it looks really crappy :). They are supposed to be making a newer version though.

Reply to
Michael Dauria

raildriver.com also makes a simulator. I think its supposed to be really accurate but it looks really crappy :)

I received a Raildriver controller console for Christmas and it has yet to work properly. Repeated e-mails to the factory support folks have been fruitless. Their software is buggy, too. What experiences have you had with MSTS?

Reply to
video guy

How many versions of Flight Simulator are there now? 133?

For a game to be alive, there has to be improvements, new features, new versions, and bug fixes. MS gave up on it and unless another publisher buys the rights, MSTS will slowly wither and die.

$8.98 at Amazon.com is not a sign of health.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

I got my control to work pretty good with MSTS. I have a lot of problems getting it to work right with Trainz though. Its a backwards situation if you ask me, Trainz was designed to work with raildriver while MSTS wasn't.

Reply to
Michael Dauria

Here is one more site

I just got this one for my PSP. Its kinda neat, they use real video. Everything is in Japanese but its still not to hard to understand what to do.

I noticed too that if you look around, > >

Reply to
Michael Dauria

Do I need anything more than a keyboard and mouse?

Would a joystick help? Other peripherals?

-- Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com (11/09/04)

Reply to
Top Spin

Anybody ever tried the routes and engines they have at

? Tehachapi, Cajon and they're planning to release Donner this spring. I haven't bought any of these yet but I'm very interested in them.

Reply to
Rick Jones

I just recently picked up the latest Auran Trainz Railroad Simulator Deluxe Edition from Circuit City for $19.99.

It takes a little getting used to... but even with the limited time I've spent using it the simulator has been interesting and enjoyable.

I'm still trying out the basic built in scenarios and 'DCC' mode loco controling at this point. You can 'drive' or give orders to 'manage' a train. You can run scenarios where you take orders to build small consists and deliver the product to the appropriate locations.

I also managed to build a quick layout and amazingly run an engine on the mess I created.

It includes some US but mostly UK equipment and rail layouts.

Terry

Reply to
Terry Bickle

Both Cajon and Tehachapi are very well done routes, even though some details are lacking, mainly in trackwork. The basic mainline operation IS there, however -- curves, gradient, etc., are all very true to prototype. The talking hotbox detectors suck, though -- the route designed used one of their teenage female relatives to produce the readouts and they sound hokey. However, someone recently uploaded actual readout sound files to train-sim.com for the Tehachapi route.

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Terry,

I have the "latest" version which is (was?) Trainz RR Somulator 2004, but haven't used in in quite awhile. Is the one you mention a replacement for it, IOW, the latest, greatest version one can currently get?

Thanks . . .

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (Modeling 1960's in HO.)

Reply to
The CB&Q Guy

According to their website I have the latest greatest version and patches. It think it came with 4 Cds. Mine is the 2004 Deluxe version also.

Terry

Reply to
Terry B

Of the 28 carefully labeled buttons on the Raildriver console, NOT A SINGLE ONE does what it's supposed to do. Someone in their product development was really asleep at the switch... or button.

Reply to
video guy

My RailDriver shipped with two sets of labels for the buttons; one for MSTS and one for Trainz. Using the MSTS labels while running MSTS, every button does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Reply to
Mike Brandt

Aha! Thank you for the input.

The throttle on my unit is very squirrily in that the same positions will return different notches. Is yours repeatable?

Reply to
video guy