Walthers Cornerstone Customer Service

Last night I was working on assembling the Walthers Single-trick Bridge kit and noticed that one of the bridge sideframes (between the gusset plate and center vertical beam) was broken.

I thought about re-gluing, but also thought it would look better with an unbroken part.

So I went to the website and reported the problem, what kit it was in, and what replacement part I needed.

To my surprise, before noon today they called to let me know it was on it's way and it will probably arrive by next Monday or Tuesday.

Way to go Walthers!

I've had similar issues with other companies who always managed to screw up their customer service. Aside from receiving a kit without a broken piece, I guess this is as good as it gets.

I've also had similar experiences in the past with Lego (missing or broken pieces were replaced promptly by them as well.

Reply to
Neb Okla

Jeez, I wonder if I contact them and report that my 90ft turntable kit doesn't go together as advertise, they'll send me one that does?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Well, I don't know you, and I'm not calling you an idiot, but I've seen a lot of cases of people online being unable to assemble kits such that everything fits properly - while others can assemble the same kit just fine.

The most notable example that comes to mind is the case of a guy who was having trouble getting a Lego set to fit together properly:

Though from his photos (somewhere in the Lugnet forums) it looks like some of the parts may be out of tolerance - perhaps due to excessive heat at some point in the shipping process.

Sometimes the problem is the kit, and sometimes it's the modeler. ;)

In my case, I hadn't really started building the kit yet. The piece was broken before I started. :D

Reply to
Neb Okla

It does go together as advertised, but it is very tricky. You must be very carefull that all parts are fully seated when you put it together. I just completed the assembly of one. It works, although not perfect, but then the price is very cheap for a motorized turntable.

Stuart Sabatini Palm Coast, FL

Reply to
Stuart Sabatini

"Neb Okla"

[Snip]

Obviously, you've not read the dozens and dozens of messages and threads on this forum as well as numerous Yahoo Groups all about the poor quality, shoddy workmanship and just plain crappyness of this kit.

It was SO bad, that neither Model Railroader nor Railroad Model Craftsman reviewed, probably because they would have had to have said it was just plain impossible for even the above average modeller to assemble so that it would work. And we all know that neither MR nor RMC would ever print a poor review of any Walther's product.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

"Stuart Sabatini"

"It works, although not perfect" just isn't good enough for a turntable. It either works, or it doesn't. In this case, it doesn't. It's a piece of crap that never should have been marketed.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

I talked to a competent modeler that I trust. He said it went together easier than the Central Valley truss bridge.

I'll keep you all posted as to how it turns out.

Yahoo Groups? Be serious. Next you'll be telling me to check out AOL forums or some other nonsense. Everyone worth talking to is here - not on some private board with a TOS that reeks of censorship.

Sounds like you've got a sweet gum bur where the sun don't shine when it comes to Walthers products.

I consider myself an average or below average modeler, so if I am able to finish it so that it will work, then you'll have to give me a certificate or something.

At any rate, I intend to replace it with a scratchbuilt structure down the road anyway, but this was cheap and fit my track plan.

Time will tell.

Reply to
Neb Okla

I think he said it works.

To reach the conclusion that "it doesn't" as you have, he would have had to say something like "It doesn't work, but it could be made to work".

Of course, you've already expressed to the entire group that you can't build a bridge or a turntable apparently, so I'm beginning to wonder what you think does work (and is therefore perfect by your reasoning?).

Reply to
Neb Okla

Not True. By not perfect, I means it binds at several spots during it's rotation. The bind is not enough to stop it's rotation but it does cause a slight hesitation. I simply rotated the pit so that the bind does not occur at a spot where I must run the table slow to align the rails.

You should just buy ready to run items as it appears you do not wish to take the time to assemble something carefully. This kit does take above average care in it's assembly.

Stuart Sabatini Palm Coast FL

Reply to
Stuart Sabatini

I can vouch for Roger. He is quite capable of building good models. However, I sure would like to hear of one case where a modeler built and liked his Walther's HO scale 90' turntable. They look so good I am thinking about taking a chance on one. I have one advantage. I own a machine shop and can usually pull a rabbit out of a hat if required. I'd rather not have to resort to magic though ;>)

Reply to
Doug

I've had similar good luck with the lady that owns and operates Keystone models. I bought a pair of their Grass Valley caboose kits at a dealer without fully inspecting them. When I did go through them at home I found the truck pieces missing. I called Keystone and offered to pay for the missing pieces but she shipped them to me gratis. The company that most impressed me with support was PFM. I have a Climax that I bought new when it was imported in 1970. These used plastic drive shafts to the rear truck for electrical isolation. These are fragile and I had it break on me for the second time. About 7 or 8 years ago, just on the outside possibility that they may still have a few repair parts, I contacted PFM. He didn't have any in stock, but he was able to locate the son of the former owner of United Models in Japan. The son found a small supply of these drive shafts somewhere and shipped them over to PFM, and the owner sent me a few of them without charge. THAT'S what I call supporting your customers. Twenty-five years after the model was imported he still helped me out and went way out of his way to do so.

Reply to
Rick Jones

"Neb Okla" <

Since you brought it up, perhaps you would care view the photo album in my SIG, and then we can compare skill levels? Notice the turntable?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

"Stuart Sabatini" <

Another person who should view my photo album before doubting my skills. You'll notice the kitbashed, and working perfectly, turntable?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Yeah, and he's even more capable of braggin' about it.

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Reply to
res0xur8

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' Those who are questioning Roger's modeling abilities and think the problems with the Walther's turntable are due to poor modeling skill, don't have a clue on either - period! You simply come off looking quite foolish and ignorant.

Happy Holidays (anyway)!

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (Happily modeling 1969 in HO)

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy

I'll agree that doubting Roger's modeling skills shows a lack of knowledge of his craftsmanship. Gene ABV61-1043.001.HCB

"Skinny Dipping and Other Stories" On the web at
or
and look for "Into Joy From Sadness" soon.

Reply to
STEAM GENE

Have you seen his stuff in person, or just photos?

Reply to
Neb Okla

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy"

Reply to