wanted- 2 vanderbuilt tenders, oil

I have put together 2 cab forwards and now I need tenders or scratch build (chore). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave

Reply to
L.Hamilton Silkitis

I think your best bet would be the tender that shipped with "USRA Heavy

4-8-2" from Bachmann that was done in Southern Pacific. Bachmann did a very good job on that tender. Add a few details like back-up lamp, tie sprinklers, and rerailing frogs and you Got er Done. Enjoy and have fun, just out of curiousity what model did you base the Cab-Forward from? If it's a 2-8-8-2 then a whaleback tender would be more appropriate. I spent most of my life modeling SP in steam and finally just switched to freelance.
Reply to
John Franklin

Hi There John

They are Riverossi 4-8-8-2 #4272 and I'll pick up details from the one we have here in Sacramento.

Thanks for the tender info!!!

Dave

Reply to
L.Hamilton Silkitis

That would make them AC12's, right? Did SP use Vandy tenders on those? Maybe my memory is failing me in my old age...

Jeff

Reply to
1shado1

On Sat, 14 May 2005 07:20:22 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote: 2000

They did not use Vanderbilt tenders. They used the large rectangular tenders.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

Thanks Ernie. That was my recollection as well. Did some of the earlier AC classes perhaps use Vanderbilts?

Jeff

Reply to
1shado1

No class of AC had Vandy tenders. The Vandy tender couldn't hold enough water or oil for the needs of the loco.

Bob May

On Sun, 15 May 2005 11:59:59 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote: 2000

The AC4 ,5 and 6 used Vanderbilts. They used the 16000 gallon vanderbilts.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

On Sun, 15 May 2005 21:11:11 UTC, "Bob May" wrote: 2000

Incorrect. The AC4, 5 and 6 used Vanderbilts.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

Now that I know what class he is modeling I would say that the 16K Gallon vandy would be incorrect. He didn't specify that in his original post. As soon as he mentioned the 4294 in Sacto, I knew where he was going with it.

Reply to
John Franklin

The tender used wth those classes was a Semi-Vanderbuilt tender, not a Vanderbuilt tender. The water sectiohon wasn't a full cylinder bur rather a rounded side tender more rectangular than round. If you want to be completely right then be completely right!

Bob May

On Tue, 17 May 2005 03:24:26 UTC, "Bob May" wrote: 2000

The Espee considered them Vanderbilts and paid royalties on the Anderson patent. Espee's semi cylindrical tenders were the whalebacks.

If you look at them carefully, especially from the rear you will find the water tanks were quite round. They were truncated rather than flattened. It may sound like a nit but it clearly shows the cylindrical form of the tank.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch