VG beforethedarktimes.com

Reply to
vintagegamer

#363...12-16v bayonet, clear.

Reply to
Whodunnit

Thank you- does it sound like all of the parts are present for my car? Just a spring and the coverplate/lens on the searchlight? Just making sure I don't need to buy/order anything else.

VG

Reply to
vintagegamer

Check out the Lionel service manual diagram at

In addition to the spring (assuming you're referring to the one under the bulb) there should be an insulating fiber washer with a rivet in the center to which the power lead to the center contact on the bulb base is attached. Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

OOPs!! Wrong link. All Olsen's has for the 6520 is the parts list at

but the same washer / spring / wire arrangement is used inside the searchlight case on the 6520.

Sorry for the mix up. Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

Thanks guys- I think everything is present on mine except the bulb- the washers etc appear to be in the base, and the spring I was referring to seems to sit in the "head" section to help hold the bulb in place. I'll try to hit the hobby shop on the way home and grab one of the bulbs to test it with. Thanks!

VG beforethedarktimes.com

Reply to
vintagegamer

s.com...

Lionel search light

there, I just

for my

searchlight? Just

one under the

rivet in the

bulb base is

parts list at

inside the

bulb-

the bulb

grab one

If your hobby shop doesn't have them, you can order direct from Lionel's web page.

Lionel's current part number is: 600-0363-300

They show it as, "bulb, 14V, clear", in the parts listing, but the markings on the bulb itself show it's a #363 bulb.

Len

Reply to
Len

I told the guy at the hobby shop what I needed, and he gave me a 12v clear- I tried it when I got home, and it doesn't light, but the car has been in storage for so long I don't know if it's the bulb or the car. I cleaned the roller on the bottom of the car and nothing happened.

Is the bulb just supposed to sit in its socket? Or is it a setup where you're supposed to put it in and twist it? I put it in the socket and it seems a little small, and I couldn't twist it but don't know if it's supposed to turn or not. And of course I told the guy the part # was 363 and he looked at me like I was an alien. I hate the local shop.

VG

Reply to
vintagegamer

On 11/30/2007 3:52 PM vintagegamer spake thus:

"Bayonet" = push in & turn. Won't make contact othewise.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You push the bulb down to pretty much completely compress the spring, then turn it (clockwise, IIRC) so the pins go into slots in the socket. Slight up or down adjustments may be needed to find the slots.

Dale

Reply to
Dale Carlson

So I went to the Greenberg show today, found the 363 bulb, brought it home, put it in the car, still can't get it to turn in place for whatever reason. I also noticed that ht the wire on the bottom that goes to the roller is broken off. I think I'll focus on getting the engine back up and running and leave this project for next Christmas!! Thanks to all for the help.

VG beforethedarktimes.com

Reply to
vintagegamer

me a 12v

the car

bulb or the

nothing

setup

in the

but don't

the guy

I hate

slots in

brought it

for

that

getting the

One other minor point...the tips of the bayonet bulbs Lionel used in the 50's & early 60's were slightly shorther than the modern versions of the same bulbs. It sometimes helps to use an emery board or fine flat file to take a bit of metal off the silver colored tip of the modern bulbs. In a few cases of I've had to take the tip down almost half it's thickness to get the bulb to seat correctly.

Also, the 6520 search light car is a bit different than the other search light cars Lionel has done over the years. It has an armature under the car that can be pulled down using the uncoupling magnet of a remote control uncoupling track. This activates a switch that turns the light on or off each time the armature is activated.

The wiring on these cars is fairly straight forward to fix if you have a 30 or 35 watt soldering iron and some rosin core solder.

Len

Reply to
Len

Thanks for the info, Len- this car definitely has the armature under the generator. I really need to learn how to solder. The sad part is I can MIG weld, but never quite got down the soldering skill!

VG

Reply to
vintagegamer