What gives with this newsgroup and Rathhole

If you're talking about I think you are, I used to deal with her Mother-in-Law (Bob Jr's. mother) in the liquor/wine trade, and a more gracious lady you'd never want to meet.

To bring it back on topic. Bill Walthers was a gentleman who loved the hobby. His grandson is a typical product of the 90's, hobby be d*mned, what's the bottom line profit?.

This "modern" attitude of "ME first" and "Profit is all!" can sum up almost every argument we've had here, whether it's UP's license fee, Horizon's purchase of Athearn, Okiechoo's selling of TCA information, Mark Mason, you name it. It all comes down to greed and ego!.

People tell me I'm hopelessly mired in the past. That may well be true, but there was a lot about the past that was much kinder, gentler and more civilized, and the world is worse place for losing it.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Mark, I seen this term several times. Whats a "wanker" ? Bruce >Yuppy wanker.

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Trainman ( snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net) wrote: : : This "modern" attitude of "ME first" and "Profit is all!" can sum up : almost every argument we've had here, whether it's UP's license fee, : Horizon's purchase of Athearn, Okiechoo's selling of TCA information, : Mark Mason, you name it. It all comes down to greed and ego!. : : People tell me I'm hopelessly mired in the past. That may well be true, : but there was a lot about the past that was much kinder, gentler and more : civilized, and the world is worse place for losing it. :

All CEOs should be like Aaron Feuerstein, instead of emulating Enron's Ken Lay:

A CEO Who Lives by What's Right (washingtonpost.com)

"By Mary McGrory Thursday, December 20, 2001; Page A03

In this anxious hour of pink-slip dread, it is restoring to think of Aaron Feuerstein, a Massachusetts manufacturer who prizes his employees and risks profits on their behalf.

The CEO of Malden Mills, located in Lawrence, the 23rd poorest community in the country, stepped clear of the greedy stereotype of his kind in 1995 when, just before Christmas, his factory burned down. Rather than taking the insurance money and retiring or moving the plant to some Third World country, he promptly announced that he would rebuild. He gave bonuses to the help and paid them while they waited for the factory reopening.

[snip]

Where did Feuerstein get his extraordinary ideas about worker-management relations? "At my father's table. We all had to be there. No pizza in the kitchen. I was seven years old when I heard my father tell a story I never forgot."

Aaron's father had watched his father, who founded the factory, go around at the end of the day and give money to every one of his workers. Aaron's father explained to his father, a Hungarian immigrant, that this was not the American way. Aaron's grandfather screamed at Aaron's father that it was against the Torah to do it any other way.

Young Aaron consulted his rabbi, who happened to be his maternal grandfather. His other grandfather, he was told, was right. In Leviticus, it is written, "You are not permitted to oppress the working man because he is poor and needy." Aaron memorized the passage in Hebrew -- and lives by it.

Such a rabbi Kenneth Lay should have had."

--Jerry Leslie Note: snipped-for-privacy@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email

Reply to
leslie

Doesn't one have to be under 40 or so to qualify as a yuppy. That doesn't include me. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

"

"

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Just remember most millionaires do not drive BMW's and Mercedes, and most BMW and Mercedes owner are not (and will never be) millionaires.

Those facts are not coincidental.

Reply to
Jason Davies

LOL! Still two words, then.

Reply to
mark newton

To find this out, you'll have to take yourself in hand and enhance your education.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

That's right. They have Rolls-Royces and Bentleys, and Cadillacs for winter driving.

At least one guy in Riverwoods, IL did 10 years ago. I'd see him pulling out in the Rolls/Bentley in July, the Cadillac in December/January.

I guess Jerry can always aspire to something higher, like a Rolls.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

And the younger ones are the Porsche or Viper or Ferarri group.

Reply to
wannand

Not to mention Lamborghini

Reply to
wannand

I suppose I'm more of the Prowler type. I like those 30s throwbacks, not that I'd ever make a hot rod out of an antique car, unless it was a true basket case with no original parts available.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Salvé " snipped-for-privacy@CreditValley.Railway" skrev i meddelandet news:iawMb.33$ snipped-for-privacy@read2.cgocable.net...

The ones with taste will drive a Morgan :) 3 or 4 wheeled :))

Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Yes, when I retire in June I am going to look into purchasing a Caddilac Escalade. I think those are real nice. Everybody needs one. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Don't you just LOVE people with more money than brains?

Don

Reply to
Trainman

No they drive Fords and Toyotas, and invest the savings. People who buy overpriced cars usually don't have enough income left over to become millionaires.

Reply to
Jason Davies

Yes, Don, but in Jerry's case that would be about $2.95

Reply to
wannand

Other than saying "Everybody needs one." I have no problem with that. If everybody had one, owning one wouldn't be special, so there would go the snob appeal of having a Caddy.

I'd say I need an Escalade like I needed another hole in my head, but the sinus surgery proved I did need another hole (actually two), so I can't use that saying anymore.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

P T Barnum did.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

HA HA HA, the logic of the lessed blessed amazes me Jerry

Reply to
Jerry