Won't This Athearn Thing Be Good For The Hobby??

I also sell and repair computers, and lawn and garden equip in my B&M. I am in a town of 9000 not enough of any of these things to suport a
buisness by themselves. I also have to order from Walthers in order to get Cornerstone and detail parts. Luckily Walthers only requires $100 ninimum order, no monthly min.
" snipped-for-privacy@CreditValley.Railway" wrote:

I am running my own business up here, Huntsville has 18,000 while Bracebridge (35KM south) has 9,000.
My company is computer related. I sell, service and train also do DVD production. Not a big business, but it gives me the freedom and money to do what I want.
It is in Bracebridge that "The Right Track" is located, he gets business from all over. The nearest big city, Barrie, is another hour south on Hwy 11.
"The Right Track" in Bracebridge carries model RR as well as car and airplane models and RC. 1/2 his store is trains, the local club has 18 active members and runs 2 train shows a year. The guy seems to be doing good with his store, everytime I am there he has a couple of customers and they always seem to be buying something. The owner goes out of his way to listen to his customers and then brings in the product that he thinks they would like.
--
Will
HO - Credit Valley Railway

sell to a mail order

However, there are some

store operation and

happens all the

didn't
Horizon
dealer
now means

existing
Athearn
all the

out of an

our
dollars a

guys.
us to

prices.
listed
listed under

storefront.
reputable. They

easily
official
Could it be because they are operating out of a real brick and mortar commercial building they could take pictures of, and not the basement of a house? -- Len Head Rust Scraper KL&B Eastern Lines RR Museum

commercial building they could take pictures of, and not the basement of a house?< That would make it a warehouse and not a B&M which I take to mean a walk in store for customers.
Len wrote:

Horizon's stated policy is that they require a retail, storefront operation. The business I am referring to does not have a retail, storefront operation, and openly admits it on their website.
Peter King in NY

And it's not germaine to this discussion, but the same exact phrasing is in the description of at least one other company selling custom wheels for cars and trucks. And the domain names are registered in the same town... Maybe the guys at Horizon are driving around on some new crunk dubs?
Jeff Sc. Spinner, Ga.

Very much False. Although they still do not carry detail parts they have added considerably to products carried. Horizon has been adding to it's railroad product lines since 1996. Horizon was initially primarily an R/C distributor. These days they carry a very wide selection of products including plastics, trains (n to G scales), rockets, crafts, activity kits, R/C boats, cars, and planes among other items. Train lines carried: Accurail, Athearn, Model Die Casting, Broadway Linited, Kato, Atlas, Blair Lines, Miniatronics, Life-Like, Miller Engineering, MRC, Aristo-Craft, Lionel, MTH, Bachmann, Boley, Bar Mills, Caboose Industries, Chooch, Life-Like, K-Line, McHenry, Micro-Scale, Classic Metal Works, Scalecoat, Floquil, Woodland Scenics, Nu-Comp Miniatures, JL Innovative Design, K-Line, and more train related products sucjh as Midwest, Plastruc, and others. They have excellent in stock percentages. Basically the premise that Horizon is an R/C Distributor is a misconception. They have been agressively expanding their product lines.
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamthis (Dave Henk) wrote in message writes:

Thank you for the constructive info Dave. Looks like they are expanding their MRR product line and that could pose more competition for Walthers. Is that a bad thing? Walthers after all has their own exclusive lines and is there a shortage of Cornerstone buildings on the market? Yes they eventually sell out and are out of stock but has there been a single Cornerstone building you haven't been able to get on the secondary market?
These guys are in business to make money. They do this by selling product. They want everyone to have their products so they will agressively market to their retailers. That will drive prices down. If enough hobby shops get calls from Horizon trying to sell them each a case of Athearn but those shops say they are buying a case of Accurail from Walthers instead what will Horizon do? Pack it up and go home? Of course not, they'll be offering specials on case lots of Athearn to compete.
Regarding the basement operators a lot of companies go into something new with all kinds of new policies and over time because of real business situations they get watered down. Do you really think that if some guy pulls up to Horizon in a truck with $20,000 in cash wanting to buy Athearn at dealer cost they'd turn him away? They can spout all the hobby shop only rhetoric they want but I'll bet at the end of the day money talks. And if you each send me $10.00 in cash until we reach $20,00 we can test this. (Just kidding! before someone accuses me of running a scam).
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@Hotmail.com (Jim Stanton) wrote:

I'm not all that worried about Walthers as I am worried about the other distributors of Model RR stuff (if there are any). We hear a lot about Walthers and now Horizon. Are there anybody else out there who does a lot of distribution? What about on a smaller regional level? What about those guys?
Kennedy

Actually there are actually quite a few distributors and they all have many other lines besides Athearn. Stevens International (whom I use for certain plastics and detail items) for one.
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspamthis (Dave Henk) wrote:

Thanks. Those are the guys that might have more to worry about, if the Horizon thing causes them to lose business.
Kennedy
message (Jim Stanton) wrote:

There are about 30 distributors of model railroad products.
Jim
snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net (Peter King) writes:

So far I haven't found that one. Maybe a clue as to what state or country would help. I did go and look at several states and didn't see as yet one listed that did not list a storefront. I looked at:
http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/support/locator.asp#SearchResult
I suppose it's possible for an operation to slide under the radar. Again without knowing who I couldn't say.
Dave

.
Rats. I go off to Timonium and a great new thread breaks out... <g>
I think the above point is valid, except I'd say it may be bad for both Athearn as well as Horizons. (Keeping in mind that Athearn technically remains a separate entity.)
When the blue boxes and engines disappear from the train show vendors, how will Athearn replace those sales? Are all those B&M shops out there going to double the shelf space they devote to Athearn? I doubt it.
Shelf space is critical to sales. If it's not there for people to see, they can't buy it. I don't see how Athearn is going to make up the loss of "eyeballs" at train shows.
I have spoken to several vendors and most are looking to dump Athearn where they can and carry other stuff. That was evident at Timonium already. Several boxes of "discontinued" Athearn items were apparent. I guess it's a psychology of "I won't be able to get them soon, so I might as well get rid of them now" thing.
Mike Tennent "IronPenguin" Operating Traffic Lights Crossbucks Special Effects Lighting http://www.ironpeng.com/ipe

I think the Athearn blue box selection is already on its way out. When I visited a large hobby shop in Dallas he showed me a large area that use to be about every blue box item Athearn made. It was about twenty percent blue box and the rest was Athearn RTR and other mfgs. In his opinion RTR was going to take over the hobby. Thanks Marty Hall