Atomic V. CS?

Rather than continue to hijack Mark's thread:-

> "philipte" wrote > > > > Or the Petter Atomic, or the little Stuart-Turner H type....I wonder if > > the Wizard counts as a diesel for the purposes of this discussion..... > > > "Nick H" wrote > I don't think anyone would consider the Wizard for a veg oil burning > off-grid project ;-) and the S-T is a bit small and rare, but, first cost > apart, an Atomic could be an interesting alternative to the apparently > ubiquitous Lister CS or clone thereof.

BTW. Why did the Petter Atomic die out when the Lister CS soldiered on for many years and survives in cloned form? One would have though that being a two-stroke, the Petter would have been cheaper to manufacture and potentially even more reliable.

Reply to
Nick H

The Atomic is a simple engine but it has three large and expensive ball and roller main bearings, plus the guts of the timing case are pretty complicated, big skew gears and so on. The cylinder casting and machining has to also be very accurately done, as this is a loop scavenge engine, and doesn't use a simple deflector top piston. I don't think it would lend itself well to cloning. However, the later four stroke AV and AVA engines are pretty bulletproof, and again, are available as clones. I don't think I'd recommend a Wizard for anything except as an excercise machine for building up the arm muscles :-))

Reply to
philipte

The actual reason is lost in time. I suggest that it had reached the limitation of crankcase scavenging. The small Atomics only reached 6 and 10 hp with the aid of tuned length inlet rams. It seems that Petter were already working on the ill-fated Harmonic and possibly the Super-Scavenge when I believe both WW2 and cost-savings/rationalisation within ABOE combined to reduce a bloated model range. In general it seems most of the Yeovil went over to armaments and those models formerly made there were dropped in favour of: Brush McClaren Fielding etc.By way of partial corroboration there is no evidence of fresh castings for the M range post the shift to Loughborough and the M types assembled at L display a motley collection of castings from, in some cases very old, stock

Others may have different opinions. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven