Dimensioning to center mark rather than hole

Hello all, When I want to dimension a hole's distance from an edge in a drawing, it seems that I automatically pick the center mark rather than
the hole edge when I click on it - resulting in a 90 mark every time. I have to zoom in on each hole and select the edge precisely to get its distance from the edge.
I guess I could delete all the center marks, dimension all the holes and then add them, but is there a better way to dimension to the hole? Thanks Chris
Hold your Shift key as you select the edge of the circle that you want. Keep holding it until after you click to place the dimension.
WT
Hello all, When I want to dimension a hole's distance from an edge in a drawing, it seems that I automatically pick the center mark rather than the hole edge when I click on it - resulting in a 90 mark every time. I have to zoom in on each hole and select the edge precisely to get its distance from the edge.
I guess I could delete all the center marks, dimension all the holes and then add them, but is there a better way to dimension to the hole? Thanks Chris
Oops - I should be more clear. I think you're describing how to dimension from the edge of a hole (i.e. the maximum or minimum distance from the hole edge)
What I meant was I am trying to dimension the hole position, from the center of the hole, but when I click on the hole, I usually end up picking one of the line elements of the centermark. This results in an angular dimension from the centermark. Chris
The best I've found is to use the selection filters to select anything but the center marks.

Or zoom in really close to the hole so you can distinquish its edge from the center mark, or put in center marks after dimensioning the part. :)
After adding a centermark, you should be able to select near the end of the corresponding centermak line and achieve the desired result. I routinely dimension in this manner and only occasionally get an angle. You definitely do not need to select the spot where the centermark crosses the hole boundary.
If this explanation is unclear, contact me and I can demonstrate the process.
--
- John

John Eric Voltin
The 2 'axis' of the centermark work like an x and y axis. In other words, if you click on a horizontal model edge and then click on the horizontal component of the centermark you will get a linear dimension. However if you click on a horizontal model edge and then click on the vertical component on the centermark you will get an angular dimension (90 degrees).
Zander
Great stuff. Thanks, folks. I appreciate the informative responses as much as I appreciate finding out I'm not crazy and this happens to other people as well. Chris
Chris, I've found centre-marks to be extremely unreliable. After making a few changes to model, even just moving hole a significant distance usually results in centre-mark dropping it's connection to the hole. Do your dimensioning to holes then add centre-marks later to those holes you feel are necessary
Cheers
--
Neville Williams
Z-Axis Design - NZ

HTH,     Eddie
Simple! Turn on your edge filter. Then you won't accidentally select the centermark.
Been out of commission this whole week (blew a disk in my back). So I apologize if this has already been answered.
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.
My first thought as my eyes saw "blew a disk" was "I hope he had a backup".
I only wish ;-)
Chiropractor says its "cracked", whatever that means. Couldn't get out of my recliner for 2 days.... Happened Monday morning while I was getting ready for work. It is getting somewhat better. I may even try to go to work for a few hours tomorrow.
--
Seth Renigar
Emerald Tool and Mold Inc.

I went to my doctor once and mentioned unusual lower back pain. He immediately sent me to get x-rayed, and discovered some problems that even I could see on the film. I've seen this doctor do chiropractic adjustments before (he's a DO), but he didn't seem to consider it for me. IIRC, he jsut told me to take it easy until it felt better, and then start doing such- and-such exercise to build strength in the area. But that wasn't nearly as serious as what you seem to be dealing with. I hope you feel better soon. It's a good thing you didn't injure youre mousing hand...