Belated Welland Photos

Now that you've all forgotten about Welland, here are some pics. See the Welland04 album at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/arthurgriffin
Regards, Arthur G
message www.Burrell2551.co.uk

The Campbell with the gas pump is unusual - what kind of gas, I wonder?
Regards,
Kim
Probably coal gas. There is a pump, usually called an exhauster, to draw gas from the hydraulic main and drive it through the various scrubbers, tar separators etc and into the gasometer. Sometimes also a booster between the gasometer and distribution network.
There is a nice little preserved gasworks somewhere in Norfolk which we visited a few years ago. This has two exhausters, one with driven by a Lister D and the other an enclosed crank Bradford (both converted to run on gas of course!). I can imagine in earlier times something that Campbell set up may have done the same job. Robinson hot air engines were also used with the pumping cylinder mounted in tandem with the power cylinder - these sets were made by Sugg, a large manufacturer of gas lighting equipment who I believe still exist.
--
NHH

"J K Siddorn" < snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
put their pint down, sat back and said:

That'd be Fakenham - I was very interested but the family wasn't - they got around in ten minutes flat!
Brian L Dominic
Web Sites: Canals: http://www.nbrumpus.co.uk Friends of the Cromford Canal: http://www.cromfordcanal.org.uk Mid-Derbyshire Light Railway: http://www.mdlr.co.uk
That's the one, I couldn't remember the name. I trust the family had the decency to wait for you to have a proper look.
Gas works (or at least the gasometers, most of the production plant went years ago) are a fast disappearing part of our townscapes. Our local ones were demolished only a couple of years ago (don't tell the neighbours, but I tried to get them listed!), as was the electricity power station just round the corner. I'm sure one tended to take these conveniences of modern life rather less for granted when the means of production were smoking away on your doorstep.
--
NHH

<Brian Dominic snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net> wrote >

Hi Arthur, nice pictures when I discovered how to find them. (There are only ten groups until you hit newest) I think Webshots are having a few problems at the moment. They took 3 days to post the last ones I took. -- Dave Croft Warrington England http://www.oldengine.org/members/croft/homepage / http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv
Hi Dave, at first I thought Webshots needed to get its act together after a new album, but 14 hours I get the same problem. Dunno why.
I forget whose pictures, but about a week or so ago I had the same difficulty with someone else's albums.
Glad to see a number of you found them okay.
Regards, Arthur G

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:44:29 +0100, "Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton"

Went straight to them with no problem, Arthur. The Pelapone shot in particular stands out for its colour and clarity, and the Ruston IP shows that backgrounds can be very frustrating!
It is remarkable how digital photography has completely changed the way we handle and look at images. 10 years ago this would all have been science fiction.
The Bamford 10hp is the same type as Mick Mills had, but I believe he sold that last year.
Peter
-- Peter & Rita Forbes snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Engine pages for preservation info: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
Peter A Forbes wrote:
It is remarkable how digital photography has completely changed the way we handle and look at images. 10 years ago this would all have been science fiction.

Yes, but I still prefer using my trusty Olympus OM1 for some reason....though I find the digital camera handy for a quick snapshot :-)
Regards
Philip T-E

handle and look at images. 10 years ago

reason....though I find the digital camera handy for a

Your OM-1 was, sorry is one of the best SLR's around but you can get a comparable Digital, expensive to start but no film and no processing costs.
By the way I have not forgotten I owe you some pennies.
Martin P
Campingstoveman wrote:

True, but the problem is I have four Olympus bodies, up to and including an OM4, and a full set of Zuiko lenses from 18 to 300mm, plus other accessories, which I have gathered over the years. The cover picture on the latest SE was taken with an F2 21mm Zuiko, which in itself is several hundred pounds worth.To get the equivalent in digital would cost a not so small fortune. Also, if I go to give a slide show to a club, its much easier to use real slides and a projector than it is to put all the pictures on a CD, borrow a laptop and projector form work and so on. I'm shortly going to buy myself a good quality slide scanner so I can get the best of both worlds. For 35mm film stock in general, I find that www.mailshots.co.uk have some of the best prices I've found. By shooting transparencies it keeps the cost of processing right down, and I can then scan and print just the ones I like.

Oh goody... the silencer has rusted away on my car and that nice Mr. Citroen wants over 200 for a new one, so every little helps. I've bought whole cars for less than that :-(

Philip T-E
ClaraNET wrote:

What I do is create a video of side pictures and then the club sets up two telly's and a video player.
Martin P
Also have you not noticed that Kodak have stopped making film cameras and others will soon follow. And how long will it be before 35mm film stars to fade away. Like CD's replacing records film will in the end be replaced by digital, you have to change sometime. The camera is only as good as the idiot holding it and you have prooved many a time youre no idiot when it comes to taking good photographs. As Peter has also pointed out with the right software and a bit of time engine back grounds, conditions etc can all be made to suit your needs with the click of a mouse.
Martin P
Campingstoveman wrote:

Not that Kodak cameras were ever high end.....

Ah, but I still listen to vinyl records through my Leak all valve stereo system, except if I'm playing 78's through the wind up gramaphone. Could it be that like many of us in this NG, I'm a closet Luddite at heart :-) Just because things are new doesn't automatically manke them better, I do take advantage of technology only when it demonstrably improves my life in some way, eg a personal computer which allows me to write this very message to the NG.
Regards
Philip T-E
On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 06:59:31 +0100, Philip THornton-Evison

Yes, I have a Mullard 5-10 amplifier somewhere, and a Goldring-Lenco deck and a (nice) pair of KEF Concord speakers. The amp I built when at Mullards in the early 1960's, and the other items I bought just before I met Rita in 1969, but I still prefer to make up my own compilations on reel-to reel tape or CD (or both) to sitting down listening to what are by now quite old LP's.
No2 son (another Philip) is going through the valve amp phase in his life at present, and we are bulk-buying octal valve bases and old Mullard amplifier books....
The nicest amp we had was also a Leak, but it was the Leak 2000 tuner, unfortunately it was all transistor :-))
Peter
-- Peter & Rita Forbes snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Engine pages for preservation info: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel

Strange how small the world is (or could have been!) Peter. I turned down a job with the Mullard semiconductor lab in Southampton in 1962 in favour of one with the BBC!
Guy
--
Guy Morgan

First Light Services
And I worked at the same site as Peter some years later after it was taken over by Thorn EMI on its way to becoming Thompson and then Thales!
--
NHH

"Guy Morgan" < snipped-for-privacy@first-light-services.co.uk> wrote in message
Got rid of my Leak Stereo 20 when the mains transformer went up in smoke.
--
NHH

"Philip THornton-Evison" < snipped-for-privacy@clara.co.uk> wrote (snip):-

I thought that I would miss the Contax bodies and Zeiss lenses, but they sat in the camera bag for 2 years untouched after we bought the first Mavica, so they had to go in the end.
One thing I did miss was the familiarity of the old cameras. You are probably the same? There is a 'sweet spot' in the settings/film type/speed where you know that almost anything shot will come out OK, and once you are there it's just a point and shoot exercise almost.
I haven't quite got that far with the Mavicas yet, and I would love to have a faster cycling time between shots, but with 3 Mavicas in the family we wouldn't go back now.
We have resisted the move towards larger and larger CCD's and image sizes, the largest is 2.1mpx, smallest is 1.2mpx.