Belated Welland Photos

In message , Peter A Forbes writes

Strange how small the world is (or could have been!) Peter. I turned down a job with the Mullard semiconductor lab in Southampton in 1962 in favour of one with the BBC!

Guy

Reply to
Guy Morgan

That's the one, I couldn't remember the name. I trust the family had the decency to wait for you to have a proper look.

Gas works (or at least the gasometers, most of the production plant went years ago) are a fast disappearing part of our townscapes. Our local ones were demolished only a couple of years ago (don't tell the neighbours, but I tried to get them listed!), as was the electricity power station just round the corner. I'm sure one tended to take these conveniences of modern life rather less for granted when the means of production were smoking away on your doorstep.

Reply to
Nick H

Got rid of my Leak Stereo 20 when the mains transformer went up in smoke.

Reply to
Nick H

And I worked at the same site as Peter some years later after it was taken over by Thorn EMI on its way to becoming Thompson and then Thales!

Reply to
Nick H

To busy looking at Suzi Perry to notice the program I'm afraid :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman