Clutch or driver failure?

An elderly lady's car broke down outside our house last night during rush hour. Traffic chaos of course so a few of us pushed her onto my
drive. She had burned out her clutch big time. The car behind stopped because the driver could see the smoke coming from her car. After things had cooled, I tried her car, nasty noises from the clutch and no drive at all. This was her second clutch failure in that car. Now VW Polos are fairly reliable so to burn out 2 clutches in 19,000 miles is some achievement. She did admit she tended to ride the clutch a bit too much. Obviously a gift of understatement there.
We sent her home in a recovery truck.
John