Coventry Climax FWP head gasket

I need to replace the head gasket on my Climax 'featherweight' winter project but I'm stumped as to where I could lay my hands on one - does anybody have any suggestions?

As it stands, it's a 0.5mm thick plain aluminium gasket. I suppose, in extremis, this could be refitted with red Hermetite after being thoroughly cleaned and inspected...

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim Aitken

If it is annealed, you should be able to re-use it. Anyone know how to anneal aluminium?

John

Reply to
John Manders

Yes.

Clean the gasket with a wire brush. Wipe clean with petrol then meths.

Take a bar of ordinary soap and rub it into the metal.

Heat with a gas torch until the soap goes dark chocolate brown. Allow to cool naturally.

The gasket will now be all flopty bunny and ready to refit.

Ta-da!! ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to