Coventry climax radiator problem solved!

Finally after a year of trying to work out what goes on the top of my climax rad filler spout I have discovered the answer, thanks to ebay! There are two CC gensets on there at the moment,(unfortunatley far to far away from me in Norfolk for me to be able to bid on ;-( ) and one clearly shows the top of the radiator has indeed got a flexible rubber pipe on it, which goes to another pipe with the cap on.

Question now is this: I don't want to pressurize the rad too much (it looks a bit ropey!) so what to do about the cap to limit evaporation. Could I use an ex Morris Minor fuel filler pipe, (which may be the right size to match to the pipe on the rad, and which I have a few lying around) with the original twist on fuel cap (which has a hole as a breather?)?

What do people think, will this work?

I may even be able to spend a couple of days playing with it soon, as I've be very good doing DIY recently...

Cheers Andy G

Reply to
andy G

Which coventry climax engine are you refering to the all alloy Engine which ended up in the Hillman Imp or the cast iron engine which also enjoyed a spell of motor sport. If you are refering to the later then I have one which is radiator cooled but is not pressurised.

Mart> Finally after a year of trying to work out what goes on the top of my

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Mine is the cast iron side valve one. I take it as long as I leave a hole in the cap to act as a breather the water won't be under pressure, and hopefully it will stop evaporation, as I don't think she will get much use in standby mode.

Cheers

Andy G

Reply to
andy G