Digital Watermarking

That is an excellent explanation. In most cases the traffic such abuse generates is fairly insignificant. Most of the problems I encountered were caused by people using images from my Aviation Patch site in Forums. Some of them are from Operation Desert Storm, the recent conflict seemed to generate a great deal of interest in them, some people were simply displaying them in a Forum as an example of those used in the last conflict, but the real damage was being done by those who were using them as their personal logo. Some of the Forums were quite popular and the bandwidth being stolen was significant, one other undesirable affect is that when such abuse occurs, the statistics for the site are no longer a true picture of the real success or otherwise of the abused site. Even if one disregards the theft of the images, having to pay for the resources the abuser is stealing to display what they have ripped off, really goes against the grain.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

Me too. I think I get it now (the link posted by Lional was very clear) and it does not appear to be something I need to worry about!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

This will explain and also allow you to check you images or info for hotlinking.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

Oh good. I was afraid at one point that it was getting excessively convoluted. Unpleasant sensation of dissapearing up ones own...

It needs thought from people. Obviously one displays the stuff to have it seen, but there is a clear difference between someone posting the link as a hotlink in a forum "See a picture of one at

" (Hmm, wonder if that works?) where those that are sufficiently interested will go and look, and including it in such a way that it is actually displayed to everyone who reads the forum. It occurs to me that some webforums might work in such a way that this happens to hotlinks automatically without the poster neccesarily knowing about it. I know it's possible, having seen spammers guestbooks filled with black helicopters, offensive animations etc :-)

Reply to
Niall

I have just checked some of my pictures for hotlinking as someone is advertising a 1931 Lister D on Ebay and when I looked ...it was one of mine (picture from my website) !!! then I read the text which did state that the picture was not the engine for sale, just an indication of what it looks like. Suppose I should be flattered.

Pete Aldous

advertising a 1931 Lister D on

I read the text

indication of what it looks

Of course, if you change it to a picture of some appropriate text, it will be displayed as such :-)

Reply to
Niall

advertising a 1931 Lister D on

then I read the text

indication of what it looks

Reply to
Lionel

advertising a 1931 Lister D on

then I read the text

indication of what it looks

I found this info in a magazine I was reading over the holidays. A program called Image Guardian May be of interest.

Protect your images ! Image theft is one of the most common things, and a major concern for many webmasters. The Image Guardian add-on for HTML Guardian provides enhanced protection for the images on your website. It is an invaluable tool if you have a picture gallery website, or you just don't want your images to be copied by anyone and posted on other websites.

Image Guardian also makes it impossible to directly link to your images from other websites.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel