Do we made a mark?

I was playing with the new Widows local/live aerial photo program which works better in England than the other 2 programs. I tried looking at the site of the 1000 engine rally & saw the picture below.

doubt this was taken this week so it must have been taken shortly after a previous years rally. I think it is the 1000 as the Astle steam rally had the engines in a different place. What do you think?

Reply to
Dave Croft

"Dave Croft" wrote

I doubt this was taken this week so it must have been taken shortly after a previous years rally.

Don't know about 'making a mark' but thanks for the heads up on this service - everybody in the office has now stopped work to look for their houses!

Reply to
Nick H

If you drag yourself eastwards to the tip of Kent, look for "Herne Common" & look in the biggest patch of woodland, bordering the A291 to the west, you can clearly see the Saxon site's earthwork, brown against the green.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

If you can be bothered to try and locate the Welland steam rally site, you will see the rally actually taking place. The GDSF is another good one to try and find. (ps. sorry I cant send the links, but im not sure how to from this site)

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Google earth is much easier to use, but doesnt have as much area covered by images, so large areas are just basically map. Betwen the two though you can usually find what you want.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Have you tried Google Earth?

Alan.

Reply to
Alan

look in the biggest patch of woodland, bordering the

against the green.

will see the rally actually taking place. The GDSF is

Hi Bob, Well spotted, the Welland site is at

doesn't seem as big as it was 10 years ago when I used to attend. If you want to post sites to the list go to share then E mail. Copy the address it gives as an address & print this as part of your list post. Don't try to send it directly to the list.

Reply to
Dave Croft

It doesn't seem as big as it was 10 years ago when I used to attend.

The site at Welland does seem somewhat small, it looks as though the sattelite images were taken the day after the rally, due to the land been very worn, but there not been all that much left.

Ive been the last couple of years and it is much bigger and a couple of other fields are now in use, also the rally field has encroached slightly into the camp site at the back of the site.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@homail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Hi... heres an intertesting one , i navigated to where my mate has been living for about 5 years and his house is just being built, so that part of the map is at least that age so maybe the map is actually 4 years old at least

regards rob

Reply to
Bob

The pictures of my village are also at least 4 years old since they show vehicles in my paddock that are not mine.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

I've just done the same thing on Google earth, my drive is clear of vehicles etc and that has not been like that for six years.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

This bears out my secondary thoughts too - several views of Bristol are fossils & seem to be about six years old.

Further, now I come to look more closely at the surroundings, our Saxon site I found in Kent is in the wrong place & I now realise it is our neighbour's beaver pond enclosure! Our site is still woodland & this was cleared in March 2001.

So, we ought to assume that the Astle Park image shows the site as it was this time in the year 2000?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Diplomacy done, plates spun, fires fought, maidens eaten - well, three out of four ain't bad

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

It must have been then, as we were still at Tatton park in 1999.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

There is something mysterious about it.

The view doesn't show an extension on my completed in 1977, on my next door neighbour's completed in 1979 but does show the major alterations to another neighbour's house completed in the late 1980 early 1990s.

Also visible (but make undeterminable) is a red car on my drive. I have had only two red cars, 1979 to 1984 and September 1989 to July

2002.

I give up!

--=20 cerberus

Reply to