Dynamotor?

Well, that's what it says on the tin! The other day I picked up a green painted (sort of ST shade of yuk green) electric motor. It was raining and I only glanced at the label, noticed it said "200 volts" and bought it mainly on the basis it had two shafts sticking out of it and I was looking for a buffing machine.

Getting it home for a longer stare, I notice that the two shafts are not the same, the keyways are different & one is shorter than the other.Then I read the label properly and discover I've bought a 200 volt DC shunt wound dynamotor.

I'm a bit shaky on this sort of thing and write to inquire what I've bought - and is it more use to someone else than me?

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Hi Kim, Is that the only information? A lot of Dynamotors were 12 or 24 volt input with a high voltage DC output. 200 volt was common for radio HT. ISTR that somewhere in the depths of my caravan there is one I used to use to power my mains shaver before I bought a rechargable model.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

It doesn't appear to be a rotary inverter. I've got several of these and it isn't like them. I suspect that it is the first of two driven devices, one shaft being driven by a stationary engine and another device (an exciter?) being driven from the shaft at the other end. There is no provision for lower or higher voltage.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

S-T (and probably other) lighting sets often had a starting dog and/or pulley on the far end of the geny - have a look at the pretty little Type N set I posted a link to last week. I believe these sets would normally be started from the lighting battery rather than a separate (lower voltage) one.

Reply to
Nick H

Don't forget that one of the biggest users or dynamotors were the GPO. It being these beasts that provided ringing current (and tones) to allow you phone to work! The one you describe isn't one of these, but they did also use them portable engine-sets. How many commutators has this little beasty got? Could it be from a one of those Austinlite genny sets that had a motor one end and a engine the other?

Reply to
Andy G