OT - canal linings.

I was watching Alan Titmash's programme about geology this evening and he mentioned in passing that aqueducts were waterproofed with Welsh flannel and boiled sugar.

I know there are various long ditch people around here, so I thought I'd ask.

Welsh flannel and boiled sugar? Really??

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

They once used sugar of lead (lead Acetate) boiled to waterproof cloth, another mangling of knowledge?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I think I've heard ox blood mentioned in this sort of context. He was referring (I assume) to sealing the joints between the iron plates, so in effect a gasket material.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Got to be something like this. If they relied on virgins blood around those parts it would be a very small canal.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Tim Leech

"John Stevenson" wrote>

Should I take it that said substance is fairly commonplace in your neck of the woods then, John?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

The most likely explanation is that most of the men in his neck of the woods bat for the other side.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

"Tom" wrote (snip):-

That sounds plausible, perhaps we should file it along with the square Bentall pistons!

Any more examples of 'Chinese whispers' modified facts anyone?

Reply to
Nick H

woods then, John?

It was when I was growing up, I think the local lassies held UK patent rights