A web site that does exactly what it says on the tin....

I was talking to someone about how difficult it is to buy from a web site nowadays. So many people have missed the point. As a web designer I was told
you should be able to buy something from a site in three clicks.
At last I found a site that allowed me to do this. It's called www.modelbits.com and even if you don't buy anything it's worth taking a look to see how functionality wins over looks every time.
I know some of the pages aren't up yet but from the update page you can see things are actually being updated - wow what a concept :)
To prove what I mean, I asked my 11 year old son to add some rotor head links for my Hummingbird V3 Helicopter to the shopping basket and he managed to so easily it was a pleasure to watch.
Well, at least judging by your email address " snipped-for-privacy@modelbits.com" I might think your review is not totally independent ;-)
Please, do not spam the group.
Nigel wrote:

site
was told

taking a

can see

head
managed

Hi,
Sorry about that, didn't mean to cause a problem just trying to promote my site a little. Another time I'll be more up-front it's better in the long run. (especially when I let everyone see me e-mail address :) )
I am a web designer though as well as a model shop owner..
Best regards,
Nigel.

Nigel wrote:

And...so you design a website that lets one get ripped off in three simple clicks?....Congrats....you have made web scamming that much easier. ( I would have assumed that the safer route would be quite a few more "safe and secure" clicks...with each one having levels of verification...)

Wow! It just happens to have a domain that is spelled *exactly* like your own email domain. Who'da thunk?

--

Greg Heilers
Greg wrote>

Greg sorry I'm not sure what you mean when you say "Ripped Off"?

Yeah I know I goofed there but I was just trying to promote my business a little, and I have already apologised in other groups that I may have offended.
Regards,
Nigel.
Nigel wrote:

From first entering the website, to final purchase....in only three clicks? This seems very insecure. I would actually prefer a whole lot more clicks...if they include things such as verifying data entry fields, verifying confirmation (as sent by personal email, such as common when subscribing to "online journals"). If it was all done in "three simple clicks", how easy would it be for someone, who has "borrowed" your credit card info, for example...for someone to purchase things while "posing as you".
Disclaimer...being one who has never actually purchased online, perhaps I am being a bit paranoid. But I have always been one who wants to physically inspect everything I buy first...i.e., make sure the book has no dog-earing or spine creasing, making sure I get the kit with the best-conditioned box, the bottle of paint that looks the freshest, etc.
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux User #328317 - SlackWare 10.1 (2.6.10)

Nigel wrote:

Okay...that sounds better. I just did not want to discover that you were business partners with them dang Nigerians...lol.
:o)
--

Greg Heilers
Nigel wrote:

Pick up the books in the series "Web Pages That Suck" by Vincent Flanders and Michal Willis. In an amusing, sarcastically dry, humorous way; these guys show you what *not* to do when creating a web site. It is quite educational. There are so many things that one sees on commercial sites, that (after reading these books) you will find that obviously violate all rules of common sense and practicality...lol.
They also have a website:
http://webpagesthatsuck.com / :0)
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux User #328317 - SlackWare 10.1 (2.6.10)
Hi Greg,
Thanks for that excellent site am on there now.
Regards,
Nigel.