Heeellppp!

Hey all, was wondering if you could offer me some assistance with my D-type.

Been having problems with it lately - it would run for a while and then just stop, and wouldn't start again. But it would be ok again after a while.

Now i'm having trouble starting it at all. I thought it was the spark plug but i've given it a thorough clean. When I wind it up it doesn't start and sometimes seems to fire out the inlet port - smoke comes out the carb. If I do manage to get it running, it's damn near impossible to keep it running, constant choking is needed.

I think there may be some loss of compression too - with the rocker cover off I can hear the air leaking out from somewhere down there, I could always hear some coming out from down there, but I don't think it was this much.

Any opinions on what might be wrong?

Regards, Chris

P.S. sorry for the long winded post ;)

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Chris, Try a different plug and wipe a lead pencil over the probes, you may have a week spark. This will mean a mag referb though. You could also try bouncing a valve to see if anything stuck on seat.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

First off welcome back Martin!

Chris, You are probably just hearing a little leakage of compression past the rings, nothing much to worry about if the compression still 'feels' ok.

Blowing back through the carb can be caused by a weak mixture, give the whole fuel system from tank to needle jet a good clean before condemning the mag.

Reply to
Nick H

Chris, As regards somebody to referb mag I would personally suggest you look in Stationary Engine for Martin Percy Wellingborough, if not in there then email me of NG and I will supply you with details.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Oh Bugger I'm not Sniping :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Just passing on my way through the journey of life and everything?

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

You're not passing anywhere near Oxfordshire are you? I've still got that stove for you.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I would agree with Charles. The firing out of the inlet port is suspicious. Check the ignition timing. If it's over advanced, overheating can result. The other possibility is a sticking valve which frees off when things cool down. I would certainly check these before having a mag rebuild.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Sticky inlet valve Chris, or, more likely, it's got a chunk of loose carbon under the valve holding it off the seat.

Take the carb off, remove the plug & turn the flywheel so the valve is shut, lean the engine away from you and pour some meths down the port. Wait a minute and spin it over. if meths squirts out the plug 'ole, that's it.

Easy ;o))

If that's it, get a STRONG light and see if you can see it. If not, have a blind poke at it with a COPPER wire which will not scratch the seat.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Won't the meths simply get sucked into the cylinder when the engine is turned and then squirt out of the plug hole on the next compression? Don't forget to immobilise the ignition before you spin the engine. I didn't once and (petrol in this case) fuel squirted out of the plug holes all over the HT leads just as they sparked. It was a nice hot day so plenty of vapour meant lots of flames and me legging it for a fire extinguisher.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Well, I was assuming that there was none left in the port and he'd rotate it backwards, although it's true I didn't say that. ;o))

Very true about the ignition. Not so dangerous with meths, but you're quite right John.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Re-reading this thread leads me to add that just because a plug looks clean and sparks outside the engine doesn't mean it will under compression. Cleaning plugs with a wire brush can also leave enough metal on the insulator to form a shorting-track. What's happening Chris ? ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Me, I don't trust plugs. Many a troublesome bike I've fixed by finding it a nice, shiny brand new plug! Not so easy with stationary engines.

My Crossley will start and run for a while if you clean the plug, but stops after an indeterminate period. If you strip the plug and clean it properly, it goes for several hours. Still never got it really right, you know, it just doesn't like ticking over, I think - and yet I regularly see another, trailer mounted, scruffy 1070 that goes all day and fires every stroke.

Bl**dy engines ......................

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

Where possible I'd go for conservation rather than restoration every time. Why not start a new thread on this topic Charles?

Reply to
Nick H

"CHARLES HAMILTON" said... . On reflection, I think I preferred "as found" engines which ran well, compared to "overdone" ones that didn't! Opinions anyone?

I'm with you on this, Charles. I would never paint anything which had a reasonable amount of original finish left. I have to admit that as well as wanting the engine to look antique and reflect its working life, I hate painting!

Sadly, several of the engines I have were "got-at" by people who had more enthusiasm than sense and were painted in colours best reserved for use by graffiti artists, so they will have to be painted :-(.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

I too hate painting but would agree with Arthur. When faced with a ball of rust or a previous victim there is little choice but to apply fresh paint. However I would eschew the just out of a modern factory look with every tiny blemish filled out of existence. OTOH I would not favour using 'conservation' as an excuse for leaving an engine in abysmal mechanical condition. The Crossley to which Kim referred has had extensive mechanical work. ttfn

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Along the same lines, but this is about an old Miner's lamp I have - marked "Protector Lamp and Lighting Company, Eccles" Type 31 with a stamped number that looks like 11/3, Ministry of Power, Safety Lamps. I bought this in England quite a long time ago.

My question is whether I should remove and re-do the horrible plaster of solder around the magnetic safety catch.

Please forgive the off-topic nature of the subject of my comment, but, as in the case of old engines as mentioned, this adds character, but was poorly done with a cold iron and offends my eye!

What would you do?

JW² Perth, Western Australia Norton AntiVirus 2003 installed

Reply to
Jack Watson