Heeellppp!

I go the same for Morris Minor engines (A series lumps). The ones that are shiny and That seems to be the case with engines,Kim, the scruffier and more unloved

Reply to
Andy Greening

85-90 (not a standard A) Next to no bearings.?From my experience of A series they do not last long in that state.

!098 spec a.. Engine 64.6mm bore * 83.7mm stroke a.. 4 Cylinder giving 1098 cc - Overhead valve a.. Compression ratio 8.5 to 1 a.. Max. Power 48 bhp at 5,100 rpm a.. Top Speed 77 mph a.. 0- 50mph in 16.1 secs

Reply to
Mike.H

"======================================================

Ok, I hold my hand up to the fact that this one has got an 1.75" carb on it, but no other mods. At 85mph she is doing about 4500rpm. Need to get a taller back end soon!

Last time I looked she was coppering out on the mains, the rest were ok. I left alone as didn't have the money to buy new ones. Must admitt only done about 5k miles in her since. Off the road awaiting body work (and warm weather) and a 1275 transplant.

I reckon that I'm getting about 55bhp now. Works wonders, drinks petrol though!

Ag.

Reply to
Andy Greening

Thanks for all the suggestions, i'm about to go out and see what I can do now. Sorry for the lack of response during the week, but I don't have access to the group then. :-(

Hopefully i'll be able to get it sorted!

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Right I think it must be the magneto. I unscrewed my spark plug to take the insulator out so I can clean it properly. Put it back together and it was barely sparking at all. Thought it might be the plug so I was holding the lead above the case of the magneto and it was barely sparking again.

I could hear a sparking noise inside the mag, so I opened it and cleaned the points but still nothing at the end of the lead.

Mag refurb time? :(

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Not just yet. Very bad corrosion film on the points can't be shifted except by removing the points and stoning them. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

mag, maybe in the cap area or lead breaking down.

Oh look Roland Ive just snipped some text. :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Chris, take a bit of 400 grit or preferably finer wet and dry and tear off a slip a bit wider than the points. Fold this in half so that you have a bit of double sided abrasive paper about an inch long.

Rotate the mag until the points are closed, press them open by moving the moving point with a small screwdriver blade and push the W&D paper between them. I always lubricate it with a squirt of WD40 etc. With a meths soaked rag, clean all around the points are, finally pushing a clean bit of rag between the points.

Release most of the pressure on the screwdriver and move the W&D to and fro between the points. this will have the effect of grinding off the faces of both points equally, resetting them so they are square on to each other.Make SURE there is neither oil, grinding dust nor a thread from the rag left holding the points apart when you've finished. Use a bright light to check!

Points very often have a thick layer of oxide on them and it is almost always this that stops the mag from sparking.

I'll send you a private e-mail with my phone number. I'm in this afternoon and you'd be welcome to phone if you need any more advice.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn