Kill file

How do i put somebody in my kill file and what exactly does it do? Ive suddenly decided its time to start using this handy sounding tool, especially after some of the garbage which has been posted by certain trolls in the last week or so.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Kill files dont work that well as most trolls change id regularly, which makes kill file a waste of time.

The sensible thing to do, is merely not to read posts you dont want to.

Reply to
Ken

And more importantly not to feed them with posts, especially as they usually cross post to loads of groups that don't appreciate it you feeding their troll as well as ours. Greg

Reply to
Greg

As you use Outlook Express, it's easy.

Highlight a message from the person(s) you want to ignore. Click on Tools / Message / Blocked Sender

Job done.

Reply to
Barry Ruck

The method for Outlook Express is as follows:

  1. Select the message from the kill-file candidate.
  2. Click Message on the top tool-bar.
  3. Click Block Sender.
  4. Click Yes on the dialogue box which appears.
  5. Another dialogue appears which confirms that messages from the person you kill-filed can no longer be seen.

Trolls have a habit of morphing (changing their from address) Many employ sock puppets (imaginary friends who post supporting them etc.) They will also often crosspost to many groups adding more as people respond to their tom-foolery. Simply repeat the above to add any who's posts annoy you to the kill file.

If you wish to reply to a specific group where the OP has crossposted to many, simply highlight the names of the groups in the Newsgroups bar you want to remove and press delete.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

I find killfile is ok until the sender changes ID. Message Rules is better in Outlook Express. Click Tools > message rules > news In the box that appears click New. You can then tick the box marked "Where the subject line contains specific words" (if the header you want to kill is always the same ) or "where the from line contains people ( name of sender ) In the panel below click "Delete it" Click the blue underlined in the bottom panel and type in the words or name and click ok.....click Apply Now and select the news group from the list....click apply the click ok when the rule has been applied. I have 22 message rules running at the moment, relting to specific groups. You can apply a rule to more than one group by selecting each group in turn, or can go back and modify the rules later. I have got rid of a lot annoying trolls this way but of course it will not block the replies by others to the trolls messages, although they are normally just one offs.

Reply to
Ivan the Spy

Ok thanks for all the help. Maybe i can get back to reading about good old Stationary engines at last.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

There seems to have been a bit of a population explosion amongst the trolls of late, so at least most of them can keep each other company in my killfile:-) It seems to have gone downhill since Mr.Surfbauds nonsensical Lister pages arrived in cyberspace-if you're going to spout quantities of spherical objects at least do it quietly!!!

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
philipte

The Lister pages to me appear quite entertaining, and are certainly representative of the failure of the care in the community program!

Slight