W. N. Nicholson & Sons

Greetings lads,
I'm hoping someone can tell me what I have, whether it's a magnificent
find or just another paperweight.
I've obtained a printing block. That's probably the incorrect
terminology. It's a block that Nicholson would have sent out to a
printer, for use in a printing press. It's hand engraved, in reverse.
The image looks to be a horse drawn hay rake.
On the side of the block is the name Hare & Co., London. They are
obviously the manufacturer of the block.
The image is not identifiable with the naked eye, but a magnifyW. N. Nicholson & Son
Newark On Trent
England
Is Nicholson farming equipment rare or common? Does anyone know who
has the remaining Nicholson engine?
Thanks for your insight,
Rob
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Rob Skinner
La Habra, CA

Rob Skinner
I almost forgot, here are some pictures of the "paperweight"
Rob
Reply to
Rob Skinner
I can tell you that Nicholsons was a foundary that sat next to the river Trent in Newark,Nottinghamshire,they made iron tractor seats,cake mills,machinery etc.The site is local to me but has been mostly redeveloped with the frontages of some of the buildings retained. Kev
Reply to
Dicko
Hi Kev, At least some of the original site was not destroyed.
Thanks Rob
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Rob Skinner La Habra, CA

Rob Skinner
Rob,this is whats left.

Dicko
Pretty facade. Thanks.
Reply to
Rob Skinner
Rob --
Easy trick is just to photograph the block, & then reverse image, possibly go negative, in any photo-editing package. You'll probably need to up the gamma as well.
You'll see what you have much easier then ....
BTW, these used to be very common. I have a copy of an ad from Farm Implement Review in 1904 where Petters would give an agent a very pretty block of the Handyman. Regrettably I've never found this block, although the ad did surrender a copy of the image it created. I used it alongside the Handyman when rallied -- now a very rare event ......
Colin
Reply to
Colin