Magneto Remagnetiser--Coil Winding

We want to make a magneto remagnetiser and have found a suitable design from SE, March 1988.

It needs two coils of 86 turns of 2.36mm dia enamelled wire around a

38mm core, 80mm long.

Question is how difficult will this be to wind using my lathe?

Never wound anything thicker than 0.5mm before, is this thickness very spring and will it work harden when winding?

Peter

Reply to
Peter B

Charles Hamilton

Thick wire, piece of cake.

It's useful to shape the former first to round off the corners. You can do this with a file, or just by putting a few wraps of tape on there first. Winding cylindrical coils is easy, squares and rectangles are much harder, unless you have a real coil winder with a cam control that can pay out the slack as the former rotates.

You probably do need to make a tension control though. This is a simple bracket for your wire reel along with a friction device to control the feed. The usual thing is a spring-loaded "cable grip" made from a couple of bits of thick polypropylene held together by two thumbscrews with springs over them. Tighten them up from slack until the wire stops flailing about and the reel over-running.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

86 doesn't seem like a lot... I think I'd look at rigging something hand- powered up, to be honest.
Reply to
Jules Richardson

80 odd turns is easily do-able by hand, its when your in the thousands u need a coil winder;!..
Reply to
tony sayer

Thanks everyone for the encouraging replies, reckon the next thing to do is to order some wire and get started. I have a turns counter I rigged up for my lathe so might as well use that, as everyone says 86 turns is not to many turns.

Reply to
Peter B

How slow can your lathe go and how quick does it start/stop when going slowly? 2.36 dia wire quite hefty and will need some effort to form onto the former and keep there.

86 turns, 2.36 dia wire, 80 mm long, 3 layers?
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We wind 3 or four strands of 2.36mm by hand on 750 size bobbins side by side with no real problems. It is slightly springy but not too difficult to handle.

3mm is the largest we wind by hand before going on to rectangular strip.

I have sorted some wire out for the OP.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

By hand it would be easy but trying to feed on and form something that size at more than, at a guess, 20rpm, might be interesting. Particulary if it takes a few revs to stop.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Reply to
Charles Hamilton