Oil strainer

As I mentioned I picked up a lovely little strainer at Enstone. It has been suggested that it may be Wells No.1 Do any of your libraries have any pics or details for this device please, or does anyone have one they could pic/measure for me. (or dare I say any similar style items for disposal :-) The filter unit is missing from the second stage and whilst I can fake something up I'd much prefer to get it right. The unit is 17" x 9" and there are ghosts of transfers; a shield and the legend No.1. Pics at

Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Roland,

putting my iggerance on show again - would this have been used for recycling used semi-diesel lubricating oil?

Reply to
Arthur G

used semi-diesel lubricating oil?

It looks quite like the honey strainer my father used to use

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

For any used lubricating oil. Big horizontals used prodigious amounts as I'm sure Paul and Geoff will testify. Oil was expensive so efforts were made to re-use it. It does look very like a honey separator and I suspect I've missed one or two for that reason :-) The top layer seems to be a simple sediment/water trap with the oil then descending purely under gravity through the missing filter. Since its gravity and low head the filter mesh-size would have been limited so I doubt it was very effective nor would it have removed acids and other nasty by-products. I gather that the product was usually cut 50/50 with fresh oil. They came in all sorts of sizes and Paul has the use of one that is taller than me (mind you lots of things are;-). The later Streamline were much more effective with the oil heated and vacuumed through stacks of paper "edge-filters". A fascinating are of study - but do I need another!. Since this is very much Geoff's area of expertise I am open to correction/amplification. regards Roland

recycling used semi-diesel lubricating oil?

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Many thanks to Tom who came up with a superb description with x-section that both confirms the ID and will enable me to fabricate the missing part. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Just to add to this, thinking that this was an olde device, I hadn't looked further forward than 1914. Bit of a foo foo.

Having a further perusal down in the attic I found that it was in production from at least 1907 and still on the market in 1966! Inflation didn't play much of a part:

In 1907 a #1 cost 35/-, in 1914, still 35/-, 1923 through 1930, 1935, £2 10s, 1958, £7 5s 6d and in 1964, £8 10s. The 1966 listing was Australian and unpriced.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Fascinating. They sold long after the introduction of refined oils, multigrade oils and even synthetics. OTOH I suppose the likes of Ruston were selling vast clumsy horizontal diesels over the same period :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven