What kind of metal in a food strainer?

I had a bunch of crud in my muriatic de-rust bucket & I strained it through a (old) kitchen strainer. You know, the woven-wire basket with a handle kind.

I thought it was made with SS wire, but I got a very vigorous reaction with the acid. WTF! I know the wire isn't aluminum, it couldn't be zinc (food contact), what is it? Tin? Does tin react with HCl? Would they make strainers with pure tin, not tin coated steel? If so, wouldn't SS be cheaper (I found tin ingots on the web for $12/lb)?

Puzzled, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt