OT but related subject

Gentlemen,

For some time now I have owned a BP Lamp Oil can, approx two gals. The spout was detached from the can so today I have soldered it back on. I then decided to test it and put some water in and the bottom leaks like a sieve through loads of pin pricks, I have cleaned up the bottom to bare metal but as fast as I fix one another appears, so chasing my tail. "Does the team think" that a thin smear of araldite would cure the problem.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Araldite would probably be too brittle and flake off. If the can warrents the cost, a commercial petrol tank sealant such as :-

(US%20Quart,%20946ml)should do the job.

Reply to
Nick H

Or cut it out and solder a new base plate in? Peter

Prepair Ltd

Thought of making a new base but the old one is ribbed and still looks, although leaky, the part. Sealant looks like the option I think. Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Loy's Plastic Metal, Martin. I've used it to repair tanks in the past & it works fine. It actually says you can use it for this purpose on the tube.

Araldite is attacked by petrol.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.

This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.

(US%20Quart,%20946ml)> should do the job.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

(US%20Quart,%20946ml)> should do the job.

I've use the Frost product on about five stationary engine fuel tanks and can recommend it. It coats the whole inside and leaves a finish like glass inside. Save getting all the rust particules, in particular the fine ones into the carburetter. It is also available in a smaller tin than shown in the above post.

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

Thanks Gent,

Frost it is.

(US%20Quart,%20946ml)>> should do the job.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Plumbers solder is good. I soldered up the underside of a much perforated Lister CS fuel tank with copious amounts of solder, with good attention to preparation you'll get a long lasting result. And cheaper than anything you buy from Frost :-)

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

I have loads of plumbers solder and bakers fluid and have been using it but the holes are so numerous I was chasing my tail.

Reply to
campingstoveman

There is/was a product called Petropatch which appeared to me to be a piece of gauze bandage and a small bottle of cellulose paint ( usually a mix of some long forgotten Austin maroon and Morris dull light blue) which one painted on the tank, then a layer of bandage , then more paint. As petrol or other oil based substances dont attack cellulose paint you could buy or find an old tin and splosh some in the container. A few coats should do it....... Perhaps. steve the grease

Reply to
Al Gorithm