OT - Computor recovery

Well, it's just about back to normal now, my address book is coming on nicely, although some might be finding it's gone a bit quiet ;o)) Thank God for backups and original software on CD. It wasn't very difficult, although friends helped when the going got sticky. In particular, the machine will not now recognise the USB hub with which it was perfectly happy before!

The previously-C drive is still in the computer and it recognises it as a valid drive. I am convinced it is OK, just full up. I'd be very grateful if someone could direct me in the way of some software that I can use to pull the data off the drive as I am loath to chuck away five years of e-mail records.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

You don't mention which Operating System you are using, Kim, but bear in mind that most email programmes store their messages in a database file, not as plain text, so you will need to have the .idx file and the data file for the Inbox, Outbox and any other folders you have.

If the email programme is still on the drive, you should be able to double-click the programme icon in the relevant folder and run it. Once running, highlight the folder you want to save, go to Files, Save As and select Plain Text. That will give you all the material including headers etc of that folder. Save somewhere else, obviously, not on your faulty drive.

If you want to use those folders on the new installation, transfer them across to where the new email setup is, (that will replace those files already there) and off you go.

That works for me in Agent, I can't speak for Microsnot products. To transfer the whole 600mb of Agent to a new drive, I just copy the whole folder across on the network and then set up a new icon on the quick-start bar from the new folder (right-click on the programme icon, click Create Short-Cut and drag it to the quick-start bar)

Can't advise further as I don't know what OS and fleamail prog's you are using.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

"Peter A Forbes wrote

You don't mention which Operating System you are using, Kim

I'm running XP corporate and have NOT downloaded SP2 after the system fell over last time I installed it!

Unfortunately, whilst the system recognises the drive and reports it correctly, in Properties, it also says it needs formatting and cannot read from it. I've just checked Device Manager. It sees the drive & says it's working properly, it is basic and has an MBR.

But I cannot get into it ..............

Damn ;o))

Off to a wedding tomorrow, back Sunday.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

My best guess would be that the mainboard maker's IDE drivers have gone walkabout. Try re-installing them from the boards CD or download from site. After that OE has an import utility that will enable you to fetch your old messages across. hth Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

"Roland Craven" wrote

I did wonder about drivers. The system said it could not find drivers that were better/more up to date etc.

Regards,

Kim

.
Reply to
Kim Siddorn

The IDE/ATA drivers are embedded with XP, they are not part of the BIOS as far as the OS is concerned, but the BIOS does have a subset to recognise the drive in the first place.

If the Master Boot Record is corrupted then the drive properties will be scrambled and won't be able to be read.

If you want to send it to a recovery firm/guy I can recommend someone who we have used. If you're not sure about what to do now, don't do anything!

XP is a nightmare for a lot of folks, glad we never touched it.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:

Peter A Forbes

This may be of some help to you either now or in the future

Nick.

Reply to
Sunbeam