OT Early ebay bidding

We have been watching a Polytunnel on ebay for a week and it finished this morning at 6.22am, God only knows why, but the vendor runs a garden centre type place so probably did it before opening time.

Anyway, at 4am I am awake as our next door neighbours came back late and their gravel drive is noisy, so I nod off again until 5.40, still too early so I drift off again.

At 6.19 I awake with a start, cursing electric blankets and cold mornings and rush out to the living room to get the PC running. It seemingly takes ages to start up, and by the time I have got into the browser and signed into ebay it is looking as if I have missed the end of the auction....

At last! I get to the page and it has less than 20 seconds to go and £102.47 on the screen. Doing a quick mental guess, which is a real effort at that time of day for me!, I bang a bid in of £164, hoping that most folks will be tucked up in beds and that there won't be anyone looking to pay much more than £150.

The bid goes in perilously close to the finishing time, and then the ADSL gives a cough and a splutter and dies on me....

I made a cuppa and went back later on when it was back up and running, I had got the highest bid on, with no remaining margin at all, and 2 seconds before the end of the auction....

Fortunately there was nobody else quick enough to beat what I had bid, my winning bid was the next highest amount and I could have lost it had a higher bid come in.

Went back to bed then.... :-))

It's in deepest devon, so we hope to be down there in Roly country on Thursday.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

In message , Peter A Forbes writes

Or if one of the other bidders had set a maximum amount higher than that it would have auto bid above you even at two seconds. Glad you got it though

Reply to
Julian Tether

Yup, so are we! A new tunnel is quite a bit more, and the cladding is another item on top of that, so we will still have to fork out for a new PVC-Nylon cover for it.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

How did they used to go on at Colditz before we had Ebay ?

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Your engines will still go rusty inside it unless you can find a way to insulate it

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Not if he left the ends open to allow a through draft then they would stay covered but dry and just rise and fall with the temperature :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

That would be true for very gradual temperature changes, but for relatively fast changes you will get condensation forming.

Tim's original post isn't here yet on BT Broadband....

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

It's for the nags, not for us :-))

The last two larger ones have migrated to No2 son's place, and we didn't find the extra height to be of any value, this one is 8' 6" internally and 55ft long.

The PVC/Nylon cover will be in two pieces, each overlapping and with no ends and about 12" flap each side, cost will be about £620 for the two, plus we have the concreting of the ground fittings to do.

We could use polythene or inhibited polythene sheeting, but the life span is not as good as PVC/Nylon (typically a couple of years for standard Polythene and 5 years for inhibited Polythene) especially with hosses's hooves flying around, and the PVC/Nylon is much stronger and will last almost forever.

Cladding in Polythene would be about £150 or so, and £220 for inhibited.

Peter

Peter

Prepair Ltd